Window conversion from POWER TO MANUAL not the typical MtoP

Status
Not open for further replies.

speegey

n00b
Apr 23, 2008
Hey everyone, this is my 1st Post,

I've got an 85 Olds Cutlass Supreme race car.

Over 7 years most of my mods were to make it fast as possible for the track. It is streetable but I have built it up mostly for 1/4mi.

My window motors have both gone bad. Obviously, I could replace the power window motors since they are cheap but I prefer to eliminate the power windows and try to CONVERT TO MANUAL WINDOWS. Has anyone tried this, is the door set up for a manual crank to be mounted or is it going to take a lot of fabbing?

I've taken the door panels off but I can't tell how hard this coversion back to manual would be. The electric motor looks like a pain to replace and since racing requires your battery to stay up, I'd prefer to avoid the battery drain from running the power windows.

Thanks for any help.

jonessmc87

Apprentice
Oct 25, 2007
Old Saybrook, CT
i've changed both my power window motors in my monte carlo,,,it looks a lot worse than it is. If i remember correctly i think the trick is to bring the window up halfway before you start taking the motor out. but as you said u wanna go manual, and when it comes to that, i'm not sure

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
The motors don't draw juice from the battery unless you're pushing the switch.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
the swap should be easy as pie, i have switched from manual to power and the hardest part was aligning the glass in there. the holes should all be the same. i have the parts as soon as i get my new doors on my cutlass, the new ones are power, old ones manual.

do you happen to still have the window switches??? if they are the right ones i would buy the from you.....

speegey

n00b
Apr 23, 2008
jonessmc87 said:
i've changed both my power window motors in my monte carlo,,,it looks a lot worse than it is. If i remember correctly i think the trick is to bring the window up halfway before you start taking the motor out. but as you said u wanna go manual, and when it comes to that, i'm not sure

Thanks man, I'm using my car for racing so the issue is mostly in case of a power loss/wreck situation/burning car issue, I'd like to be able to get out. I appreciate your response but I think for safety's sake, I'm going to go manual.

speegey

n00b
Apr 23, 2008
srercrcr said:
The motors don't draw juice from the battery unless you're pushing the switch.

When I go to the track, on hot days, I'm lowering/raising windows and draining my battery. I've already had a couple NO STARTS because of this so, that's why I'm trying to convert to manual. There's a safety issue in case I wreck and loose BATT PWR too. Thanks anyway for your response.

speegey

n00b
Apr 23, 2008
regalman4925 said:
the swap should be easy as pie, i have switched from manual to power and the hardest part was aligning the glass in there. the holes should all be the same. i have the parts as soon as i get my new doors on my cutlass, the new ones are power, old ones manual.

do you happen to still have the window switches??? if they are the right ones i would buy the from you.....

If I convert to manual, I'd be happy to sell you my switches, my DRVR SIDE is brand new, just got it in Feb before deciding to go to manual.

Are you willing to sell/trade your manual cranks if I don't buy doors with manual windows?

MonteL569

n00b
Nov 12, 2008
Regalman from NB

Do you still have your manual cranks, and regs...I would like to switch to manual also.....I have power, and we can trade...you could have all my switches, and motors regs..for extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor