Window Regulator Spring

IamMalibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 24, 2021
My drivers window on my 85 Cutlass moves a lot(like it’s loose). Yesterday it was rolled all the way up and when the door was closed the glass shattered. I knew the spring on the regulator was broken. Can anyone direct me on where to buy one? I’ve been looking online and can’t find anything. I see some RH complete regulators on EBay but no one sales just the spring. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpeg
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Corvette window regulator spring.

Reactions: 1 users

Art Carabio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2019
I think that the manual regulator spring might work here. Also, I had a very loose pivot point between the motor bracket and gear piece similar to the OP. On mine, that has a spring, some regulators don't have a spring, there is a flat section on the pivot point the spring rests on. I supported the center pin from underneath and use a hammer and punch to drive the flat section, that looks like a washer, down to tighten up the pivot. It is much tighter now. I didn't want to hit it more than necessary to remove the looseness and didn't want the pivot point to be too tight, bind and have much rotational resistance by having the two pieces be tight against each other. My friend has a parts car with manual regulators. I'm going to shag one and put it on mine since mine is also missing. Years ago, I upgraded my manuals to electric and I may have got the regulators from different G Body cars a the wrecking yard. I just noticed recently while troubleshooting my window operation that one had a spring and the other didn't. I think the spring will help when closing the window due to the spring. I think the spring winds up when the window is rolled down. I can see this as being needed on manual windows. Seems like some electric g body cars had springs, others didn't. Maybe it's on the earlier cars, I don't know.

Art Carabio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 19, 2019
Well I was able to snag a spring off my friends manual window regulator parts car. It looks like it will work. I need one for my RH power window regulator. Maybe I don't but the LH regulator has a spring and both regulators look like they can take a spring unlike some of the other G Body power window regulators that don't have a provision for a spring. A couple of pics. One of my LH regulator that had a spring on it a pic of the spring I took off my friends car.

Attachments

• IMG_7177.JPG
    IMG_7177.JPG
    408.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7183.JPG
    IMG_7183.JPG
    322.1 KB · Views: 30

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Cutlass did not use a spring on the power windo regulators. Some have a spot for it, but it wasn’t used. Other cars may have had them, but again, Cutlass power windows do not.

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Mine spring is broken too. Hopefully the corvette one works.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
My 79 Malibu does not have a spring for the power windows. The motor does all the work.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor