Windshield wiper

Just add them. What's so hard about it? :)

I've never done this before, but you're wanting to add RPO CD4. Get ready. Bend over...it's probably going to cost you, even if you find good used stuff.

First, you need to get the delay switch inside the column. This is an expensive part. Kinda hard to find, but not impossible. Not like the part that's coming up.
GM p/n 7843683. This is assuming you have tilt wheel as well. GM p/n for NON-tilt would be 7842716, and its even more rare. Even used I've seen these go for $75-ish.

Optional- you can get a delay wand, but your current wand should work. The switch is what determines delay settings, it just helps that the wand is printed to match. But not required.
GM p/n 25031456. Aftermarket may work, but it HAS to be for 84-up with delay.

Luckily the WSW motors are pretty much the same between pulse (delay) and non-pulse. Now, you need to add those park switch contactors inside the motor. The contactors actually are needed to touch the next part below.
GM p/n 22054236. These are just spring metal tabs that clip on to the switch (#4 below) and you can get them off near any CD4 equipped car if you can't find them new.)

And one last thing. You need to find the hen's tooth out of the bunch. The hardest part of your journey. These are unobtanium.
GM p/n 22039684, the pulse circuit board/cover assembly (#1 on the drawing below).

9132W_2606.png

Reactions: 4 users
GM p/n for NON-tilt would be 7842716, and its even more rare. Even used I've seen these go for $75-ish.
I guess I'm lucky, grabbed up an NOS one for $58 shipped. Rare/super hard to find, hell yea. Was looking for years for one for the on again/off again wish to use the newer delay motor instead of the '80-'83 one I have. Non-tilt '82-'83 switches are just as rare/super hard to find.

Reactions: 2 users
I spent the better part of 2 years scouring eBay for switches and motors and the best I could come up with was NOS in-dash delay switches(D6338A), some with faceplate. Then one day I almost wet myself when I found a used motor with circuit board for a song here on the forum.

IMG_20240828_223425806.jpg

I just checked Chicago Muscle Car Parts and they allowed me to put one in my cart... Don't know if they've actually got it on-hand though:

Screenshot_20240828-224049~2.png

Reactions: 1 users
In actuality, if you find a new GM ACDelco park switch (#4) it comes with the contactors (#3). A bit out of the way to get some, but it's another option.

BTW, while you're inside the column yanking junk out, it might be a good time to replace the turn signal switch as well.

Again, assuming you have a console shift with pulse wipers and tilt, you will need turn signal switch AC Delco #D6222. GM p/n 1997983 (Superseded by 1997988). Otherwise, if you have column shift, it's 1997984, AC Delco #D6223. Aftermarket makes them too, but I have no idea on quality.

Isn't so simple is it? You can get lost in the different parts combos depending on the options.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor