Would Ebay guarantee this parts fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Well, it looks like we have something else to get manual parts off of, '66 & '67 GTO's. Can't see how this would fit a 1st gen A body let alone mount to a Muncie. I would say maybe the Hurst shifter itself might be the only part that would fit.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Piqued my curiousity enough to toggle the link and go take a peak. Two things that catch my attention right away are the shapes of the rods and how they connect to the levers. That part looks more like the Camaro setup that I have hanging off a Saginaw 4-spd down in my basement. The other thing, as Pagrunt notes, is the shifter to tailshaft housing mounting plate. Nothing like the one resident on my Hurst/Muncie 4 speed.

That front ear looks like it wants to use one of the tailshaft housing-midplate bolts as an attachment point. Last time I saw that it was on a Dodge 833 box that I had salvaged from a D100 Miser that came into the yard. (In retrospect, should have grabbed that whole thing and threw away the sheet metal. Would have made a great chassis for a vintage Dodge/Fargo P/U project. Meh, no space)

Any possibility this is from a Borg-Warner T-10/Super T-10? The earlier Pontiacs, pre GTO, up to around the mid 60's -65?- used the Borg box as I recall and the ad has a huge list of everything the vendor thinks this chunk might fit.

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Piqued my curiousity enough to toggle the link and go take a peak. Two things that catch my attention right away are the shapes of the rods and how they connect to the levers. That part looks more like the Camaro setup that I have hanging off a Saginaw 4-spd down in my basement. The other thing, as Pagrunt notes, is the shifter to tailshaft housing mounting plate. Nothing like the one resident on my Hurst/Muncie 4 speed.

That front ear looks like it wants to use one of the tailshaft housing-midplate bolts as an attachment point. Last time I saw that it was on a Dodge 833 box that I had salvaged from a D100 Miser that came into the yard. (In retrospect, should have grabbed that whole thing and threw away the sheet metal. Would have made a great chassis for a vintage Dodge/Fargo P/U project. Meh, no space)

Any possibility this is from a Borg-Warner T-10/Super T-10? The earlier Pontiacs, pre GTO, up to around the mid 60's -65?- used the Borg box as I recall and the ad has a huge list of everything the vendor thinks this chunk might fit.

Nick
Since I have all but the reverse rod, the rods & mount bracket are for our generation.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So me here thinking you thinking that that shifter is for a Saginaw? Not about to dismiss the possibility, just didn't consider it because the only Saginaws that I have ever dealt with came out of my Monza and it used the rigid tunnel mounted OEM Muncie style shifter that was prone to hang up under hard acceleration because the engine would shift with the torque just enough to bind up the rods in their bushings. MPITA!!! So the application here would have been for an El Camino or similar from the early 80's?

Would have loved to have swapped in a Hurst but lacked the $$$ and knowledge about what it would take way back when, circa 50 years or so ago. Amazing how fast a half century can blow past when you ain't lookin'.

Nick

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So me here thinking you thinking that that shifter is for a Saginaw? Not about to dismiss the possibility, just didn't consider it because the only Saginaws that I have ever dealt with came out of my Monza and it used the rigid tunnel mounted OEM Muncie style shifter that was prone to hang up under hard acceleration because the engine would shift with the torque just enough to bind up the rods in their bushings. MPITA!!! So the application here would have been for an El Camino or similar from the early 80's?

Would have loved to have swapped in a Hurst but lacked the $$$ and knowledge about what it would take way back when, circa 50 years or so ago. Amazing how fast a half century can blow past when you ain't lookin'.

Nick
H bodies had that weird set up but A/G's for all 4 generations used that type. The Hurst & ITM are like a 90% copy of each. My Hurst that I'm using & the back up/spare ITM look the same but the ITM needs to have the shifter pulled up to go into reverse. I also still have the complete Hurst set up for a Saginaw from my '72 Monte that looks loke that shifter & has a better chance of fitting a '66/'67 GTO.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, then. I had not personally heard of the ITM variant offered by the Factory until I started lurking on this board. The Muncie shifter that I had to play with came with a "T" handle under the shifter ball and you had to pull up on it to unload a spring in the hollow stem that otherwise kept you from getting into reverse. Lousy to useless when trying to deal with being stuck in the winter.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor