WS6 wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I have an opportunity to buy some wheels of a 1989 WS6 Firebird that are 16 inch. The guy told me the front and rear offset or backspacing are different.Would these fit right on my Grand Prix? Would any newer Firebird rims fit. Thanks in advance for any input.

87oldssalon302sbc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 14, 2008
louisiana
If they are like the ones on the earlier GTA 16" they want fit.The offset or backspace will rub the rear frame rails and the front tie rod ends.This is from bolting them on myself,won't work.The F-bodies have a different setup I think most of the F-bodies with rear disc brake have the deep backspace. hope this helps.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
You could try to find 4 fronts or run spacers on the rear.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I don't know the offset i guess i could try to look it up. The rims are 5 spoke with the 4 little spokes that are opposite of the main ones not the snowflake design. My for the vague description.

Stoopud

Master Mechanic
May 21, 2007
Cleveland Ohio
Hey, check out my photo's (maybe when you vote for my car for ride of the month - hint hint). I run WS6 wheels on my car. You have to run them reversed. Put the fronts in the rear and the rears in the front with 1/4" - 3/16" cheap spacers. It works well and looks good, because the stock WS6 front wheels have a slightly deeper lip than the rears. You can run 235 50 16's at all four corners.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Where do you get the spacers from? Does it look funny with the bigger lip in the front than the rears?

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
you can get the spacers at jegs, summit, or and shop like that. I got the gta's on my monte with 255/50/16 on all 4 corners

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
IF the GTA rims are the same as a similiar year IROC wheel (and I'm not 100% sure that they are), then there is approximately 13/16" difference in offset between the front & rear rims (the front rims stick out away from the side of the car more than the rears). I found that I could only use the rear rims on my Monte with extra long studs and 13/16" spacers. I eventually found another complete set of IROC rims. I saved the 4 front rims, and used them on the car, and sold the 4 rear rims. I'm currently running P235/60R16 Michelins on all 4 corners. The front tires rub slightly at full lock on the steering, but other than that, the tire & rim combo works fine.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
85GPLef41 said:
Does it look funny with the bigger lip in the front than the rears?

I can't say for sure on the rims that stoopid is running but on the iroc rims(and gta rims i think) there is no difference in the size of the lip. The different backspace is done with a thicker mounting flange on the backside of the rim so the front side looks the same front and rear.

Also I used the fronts on the front and 1" bolt on spacers to put the rears on the rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor