xe 274 hydrolic comp cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

81 monte

n00b
Mar 22, 2010
was just wondering if anybody is running comp cam xe 274 hydriloc cam in a mild 10.5 to 1 350 zero deck height comp recommended xe 268 but was thinking it would be a bit small this will be a weekend cruiser and track car 3.73 gears 4 speed super t-10 eagle 4030 crank eagle rods arp bolts mahnley .040 pistons flat top world sportsman 2 heads 2.02 1.60 64 cc had elderbrock performer cam in it before wanted a newer grind with more top end

the 268 is probably the better bet. the 274 is small for a 383ci but large for a 350.
it'll have plenty of top end for that engine and street cruising.

I have that cam in a 406 sb and I like it. :mrgreen: It was in a monte with 3.73 gears and a 200r4. Your heads are way better than what I used. I ran them both on the comp cams camquest. the 268 says 434 hp and 452 ft lbs of torque, the 274 makes 446 hp and the same 452 ft lbs of torque. I would go 274 since your running a manual trans.

thanks for the response i was also thinking i could get away with the xe 274 with a manual trans i also hear that they tend to be noisy or is that people not breaking them im properly???

there is more noise with an XE cam do to the extremely fast ramps. it's not a break in issue but something you just have to live with. personally i don't hear it on mine.
BTW, have you read up about the oil additive/ZDDP issues with flat tappet cams? if at all possible, get a roller cam, it's worth the extra money.

I'm running the xe268 in my motor and its 9.5 to one with 2.02 1.6 valves roller rockers 750 holley and an rpm air gap manifold and i like it i shift at about 6000 and I'm runnin 13.4s on a 3.42 gear and it idles at about 800rpm pretty rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor