year?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2009
Grand Junction, Co
i have a 350 olds, the engine was given to me. i know its a early 70s but don't know what year it is. has a th 350 transmission. it came with a complete rebuild kit. but nobody can seem to figure out what year it is???? can anyone help me ???????

on the block next to the oil fill tube- 395558 2
stamped on the side - 32M201275

on the head 409 147

The casting # is on the timing shelf behind the water pump, next to the oil fill tube. "395558 2" means it's a 68-76 block.

100_3521.jpg

All the blocks of that era are the same. They're good blocks. The only way to find out the year is through the "vin derivitave" stamp. That's on a small shelf under the head mounting surface near the # cylinder. You *should* be able to decode the year out of that. Besides that the head casting # should tell you, unless they've been changed. They'll be a # by the # cylinder and by the #8 cylinder on the heads. 5 is 68-69, 6 is 70, 7 is 71, 7a is 72, 8 is 73-76.

There is also the possability it's a 77-80 block which isn't the best, but it isn't a bad block either. I don't recall the # off the top of my head, but it means it has windowed mains like a 403(metal removed from the webbing holding the main crank journals). That's fine for a motor that won't see the track all the time and won't commonly go over 5k rpm. Also, you can get girdles to hold it together for racing aplications if you want from companies such as J&S Machine.

32M201275 this is the number on the shelf under the head mounting surface

lordofire77 said:
32M201275 this is the number on the shelf under the head mounting surface

3=Olds
2=1972
M=? I can't remember...
xxxxxx=last six digits of original car's vin.

Sweet thanks for all the help much appreciated 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor