Cleaning up the engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2009
Hilton head island, SC / Wilmington, NC
I pulled the motor and trans, and before i drop the new motor i want to clean up the engine bay.

I've got allot of engine degreaser and some sanding wheels..ext, scrappers, and other tools. What are some methods yall have used to clean up your engine bays?? what about repainting it when im done, any opinions??

somebody else posted up allot of pics on here of a before and after serious clean up of the engine bay, i just can't find him on here.

Just takes a lot of time and effort. I think I used a lot of brake cleaner and a wire wheel to get the power steering goop off of everything along with the sludge. I only have one original photo of the engine, but you get the hint.

pic3.jpg

pics11-26-09019.jpg

pics11-26-09020.jpg

patmckinneyracing said:
Just takes a lot of time and effort. I think I used a lot of brake cleaner and a wire wheel to get the power steering goop off of everything along with the sludge. I only have one original photo of the engine, but you get the hint.

pic3.jpg

pics11-26-09019.jpg

pics11-26-09020.jpg
your engine bay looks freakin SWEET

Very clean man. I'll have some pics up today of everything finally. I picked up allot of wiring stuff to re-do the wiring in the front. New outer shielding, new wiring..ext I make my own harnesses because i don't feel the need to pay 600$ for a new factory or painless. Other than degreaser i have some other chemicals to my advantage. And i live right accrossed the street from a chevy dealership, the guys there are pretty cool and i have friends at a ford dealership too, I plan on taking allot of the parts that i can take off over and getting a nice new powder coat, high gloss black.

For cleaning out all of the dust and grease, i'd just use an economy engine degreaser with a Nylon brush for the plastics, and a wire wheel on a drill for the metals. For painting the metals, I use Krylon Rust Tough Primer/Paint or Duplicolor Engine Enamel, and for the plastics, I use Krylon Fusion paint for anything plastic.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

It's worth every cent

ARGG!!!!!!!! :evil: I can't get this ****ing front suspension apart!

normal_IMG_0143.JPG

normal_IMG_0141.JPG

normal_IMG_0142.JPG

I've got the nuts off, but the bolts will NOT move from the holes, i can't disconnect the inner tie rods! The arm that comes off of the steering box will not disconnect from the box/ or from the other end, It feels like everything is stuck together. :blam:

How do i get these off??? I'm so close to just cutting sh*t off and replacing. Two days and zero progress.

Smack the side with a hammer. The links all have tapered ends that pull up tight with the nut. They also sell a fork tool to seperate the links.

85olds4spd said:
Smack the side with a hammer. The links all have tapered ends that pull up tight with the nut. They also sell a fork tool to seperate the links.
x2 i use a hammer i smacked the end of the tie rod came right out

patmckinneyracing said:

pic3.jpg

pics11-26-09019.jpg

pics11-26-09020.jpg

Sweet job in detailing bro. I know some members have no pictures posted in their gallery so this is the first time I'm seeing your engine bay.

You should post those pics on this thread on engine bay pictures here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21247&start=0

I wanna post there too as soon as I get some decent pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor