1988 Cutlass "GT" Was That Car Factory Produced?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I am the very proud owner of a 1981 Cutlass Calais. It is a T-Top car, and had a 3.8 V-6 with 52k miles when I got it from the original owner. It now boasts a 383 4-bolt main, .030 over with a 2 speed Power Glide, and 4:11 posi Detroit Locker rear end. AFR aluminum heads ported and polished with a 5 angle valve job, Lunati cam and complete roller set up; Edelbrock dual plane high rise intake with twin double-pumper Holly carbs. I'm also running ceramic coated hooker headers to true 3.5" dual exhaust with super 44 dual chamber Flowmasters and turn-downs. The car also utilizes custom tubular front A-arms and air-ride all the way around and a set of true deep dish 17" daytons. I call it My "Super Sport" Olds. Anyway, a guy at an antique car place wants to trade me my Cutlass for a so called 1988 Cutlass "GT". The "GT" is white with gold trim...a lot like a '69 Hurst Olds. However to me the car looks like an '84 Hurst Olds only different paint and the composite front end. Is this car "real", and if so...what would it be worth?!, would I be stupid to trade?! I would be extremely greatful for any information about this Cutlass "GT". I was told that it is real and that only 400 were made. So if anyone reads this and knows somethig, please respond. Thanks!
-'81 Cutlass "SS"-

As far as I know, no it was never a factory car.

A dealer in New York ( I think) did "make" some Grand Prix GTs so maybe that dealer or another did the same thing?

sounds like a 442 to me, although I thought they only did them grey and white in '85. only 4 or 500 were made, I think that is correct. run the vin to see what it really is.

I wouldn't trade if I were you. sounds like you have a really nice car already, and if you trade for the 442, you will want to keep it stock for the value of the car. I'd rather have a car I could drive hard, than a car sitting in the garage because I'm afraid to get a scratch on it. just my 2 cents.

i found this info on another g-body site. Also i have seen a few of these GT cars in person and really all it is, is an appearance package, same 305 as ever other cutlass.

1988:
442's weren't offered in 1988. Now, I do think Cutlass GT's were made in 88, and they might have shifters on the column (most had consoles, though). It might be a Cutlass GT. From the outside, the GT and the 442 look similar, with two-tone paint, chrome SSIII's, but the 442 has the 9 code engine, whereas the GT came with the Y code engine only.

It seems like 1988 was a cool year for the last rear wheel drive Cutlass, with several different special editions being offered. I'll start off with the two best known options that year and I'll finish up with a third option that I just found out about last summer at the OCA Nationals.

Option 1: The '88 Cutlass GT
More of a localized zone package, than a nationally available option. Looks to be an appearance package, rather than performance. Produced by Top and Trends in NC. Had H/O hood scoop, rear wing, special paint, console, with buckets and a special plaque on the console, also special honeycomb stlye rims. Only @280 produced. Featured in JWO Sept. 1997.

Option 2: The 1988 Hurst/Aero kit
Produced by Action Products in AZ. Since Olds didn't want to pay to have the Hurst name on the car for the 20th anniversary of the H/O, Doc. Watson and Joe Hrudka, (then head of Mr. Gasket) put together this special kit. The kit included a ground effects package with a special rear trunk lip/wing and decal striping. It was available as a dealer option for around $500. This kit will fit on any '81-'88 RWD Cutlass and was also available as a separate kit. If installed on an '88 it was a 20th anniversary H/O, if installed on any previous model it was a H/O Aero commemorative. No known production numbers exist. I personally have seen, or heard of about 24 kits in the past two years. There is definately under 500 of these made, most likely in the 200 range.

Option 3: The LV2 Sport Coupe
250 Produced by Oldsmobile to use up some of the remaining H/O and 442 inventory. H/O spoiler that was ~not~ color keyed with the rest of the car. It was left black. It had the H.O. 307 that produced 180 HP. 200-4R trans w/3.08 rear gears and limited slip. Other items include handling and appearance packages, heavy duty cooling system, Olds Chrome rims(14") with 205/70 tires, and the rallye pac. Looks to be based on the salon trim level.

CREDIT FOR THE INFO-JASON ADCOCK

The 1988 GT was not a factory car, just a Cutlass with decals slapped on the car and an ugly aftermarket hood scoop and spoiler that were not the same as the H/O. They did not come with Chrome 15" rims, just whatever came with the stock vehicle to begin with, 14" chromes or 14" painted. Sales were poor and Tops and Trends only modified 230 or so out of the targeted 400.
Car isn't worth any more than a regular Salon, I would not trade, sounds like a scam. Also, the GT's came with a red decal package, is sounds like the guy slapped 442 decals on a white car and put GT decals on it since it was an '88. Would be nice to see some pictures of the car though...

White 442's were only made in 1985 with around 400 or so made.
Here are the color options for 442's:
1985 - Black, Grey, White
1986 - Black, Blue, Burgandy, Gray
1987 - Black, Blue, Burgandy, Gray

I have one of these 1988 Olds Cutlass GT's. Mine is #29 of 400. The were produced in Mt, Airy, NC at a dealership that no longer exists. They are nice vehicles and look alot like a 442 but with more standard features except for the spoilers and T-tops and a brass plate on the console that debnotes the number of the car.

a guy at a local cruise night has one ! i never herd of them but he said he got it in charlotte ,nc so the carolina dealer option sounds true !!!! would be a rare car ! like they say fast cars dont get old ! up to you .

Tops and Trends never made the full 400 cars for the dealership in NC due to sales, it only wound up being around 280 as stated above.
I've seen many of these with low miles, I think they used the Hood scoops from El Caminos, probably because they're not that desireable, show me an LV2 and we'll talk rarity.
I've only seen 2 in my life, one black and one gray.
Also, LV2's didn't come with VIN9 motors, LV2 is an RPO code for VIN Y 4speed drivelines 84-88 I believe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor