are these the clamshell mounts i need for a sbc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Unfortunately, you're all wrong. There were two different styles of motor mounts over the years. The older style (1960s and early 70s) used rubber mounts bolted to the block and metal brackets on the frame. The newer style (mid 70s-up) used the rubber clamshell on the frame and a metal bracket on the block. The rubber clamshell shown in the first post in this thread is correct. The metal bracket is not. The one shown in the first post is an all metal replacement for the 1960s style rubber mount that bolts to the block. The factory metal block brackets used on the G-body cars are usually not sold aftermarket because they don't wear out. Try a wrecking yard for just about any Chevy built in the 1980s.

If you want to sell the Olds motor frame brackets, please PM me.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
86oldsgbody said:
I have some like these along with the top ones you have there.
I'm not sure if these are the exact ones but this is what they look like. Just to get you in the right ball park.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Those are solid fame side mounts. I would not use them on a street car. Use the Clamshell mounts from the first post, but pull a set of the block side brackets from a junkyard. While you are there, also get all of the bolts that hold the bracket to the block, and get the long through bolt that connects the two halves. They are all special length fasteners for those applications, and it is easier to just get them from the car you source them from. I actually went as far as to pull a 305 from a Grand Prix in a U Pull It yard and take every nut, bolt, washer, bracket and pulley from the same car so I would have a complete set. If possible, bring a digital camera with you into the yard and document how the donor vehicle went together with 20-30 pictures. Try to take pics showing individual parts with their respective fasteners too. Remember that a cheap digital camera ($20-30 at Wal Mart) is your best ally when it comes to dismantling and reassembling a car.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
joe_padavano said:
Unfortunately, you're all wrong. There were two different styles of motor mounts over the years. The older style (1960s and early 70s) used rubber mounts bolted to the block and metal brackets on the frame. The newer style (mid 70s-up) used the rubber clamshell on the frame and a metal bracket on the block. The rubber clamshell shown in the first post in this thread is correct. The metal bracket is not. The one shown in the first post is an all metal replacement for the 1960s style rubber mount that bolts to the block. The factory metal block brackets used on the G-body cars are usually not sold aftermarket because they don't wear out. Try a wrecking yard for just about any Chevy built in the 1980s.

If you want to sell the Olds motor frame brackets, please PM me.

Not to argue, but I was right. The first ones the op posted are not factory replacements for anything. They are the block side mates to the frame side mounts that I listed in my first post. They are aftermarket solid motor mounts for racing.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
jrm81bu said:
Not to argue, but I was right. The first ones the op posted are not factory replacements for anything. They are the block side mates to the frame side mounts that I listed in my first post. They are aftermarket solid motor mounts for racing.

Then why does the listing at Summit say this:

Summit catalog said:
Moroso solid steel motor mounts replace stock, OEM-style rubber mounts...

The OP asked about block side and frame side mounts. The frame side mounts in that post are the correct clamshell mounts. These require the OEM metal bracket that comes on all SBCs built since the mid-1970s.

The block brackets in that thread are these:

mor-62510.jpg

They are not intended to mate to the clamshell mounts but are intended to replace these from the 1960s that bolt to the block:

228629.jpg

As I noted above, the stock frame-side brackets for the G-body are solid metal and don't wear out, so they are not offered by the aftermarket.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Read the app guide and suggested parts on the summit ad. They do replace the rubber style mounts. Completely eliminating any rubber mount.
The second link the op listed is the correct frame side mount. I agree with that, but the first link is not made to work with the older style mount.

Those two links are designed to work with each other. And you left out a litlle of the quote from summit's page:
The mounts made for racing.
Moroso solid steel motor mounts replace stock, OEM-style rubber mounts to eliminate torque loss and binding linkages, a common result of excessive engine movement. These solid steel mounts eliminate the need for bulky torque straps and chains, and are covered with a protective zinc coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor