How to remove rubberized undercoating under car

Status
Not open for further replies.

dickeymoore

G-Body Guru
May 6, 2009
Atlanta,Georgia
I need to remove my emergency brake cables and the person I bought the car for used rubberized undercoating and he sprayed all the cables and nuts what can I do to get the cables and nut lose what is a good way to remove the undercoating from the cables so I can get them off can I use aircraft stripper or something similar?THANKS

Nov 4, 2012
This is (one reason) why I'm not a fan of rubberized undercoating. Brake cleaner should soften it up, but aircraft stripper will probably work better. In either case prepare for a mess.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Be very careful don't get it in your eyes and remember it will effect anything it touches

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Kerosene, a paint brush, and a HUGE mess.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Have you checked to see if it would peel off. He probably didn't prep or clean the surfaces so it shouldn't have bonded to the surfaces

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 3 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Propane torch (to soften it up) and a scraper, did my whole chassis that way. Replaced the rotted out floor so I didn't have to scrape the underside much. Be careful it will catch fire easily.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I would only remove whatever is loose with a wire brush or wheel. It does have a limited life on most surfaces. A common use is to hide rust.
I have used it in the past in wheel wells and rockers and found it to be quite durable if the surface was clean and rust free.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor