Monte Carlo Rear end ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chevelle_68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2011
Norway
Hi.
Where do I find the number on a 1987 Monte rear axle?
What were the most common gears they came with in 1987?
My car is a 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 4.3 V6 and TH200-r4.
The numbers I have found so far is: acj 273 1. I don’t know if it is the right numbers I have found.

Thanks!!

HD

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
why not remove the back cover and look to see what you have....and change the rear end oil that has probably been there for decades

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Your RPO codes will give you your factory original gear ratio. There should be a sticker on the underside of the trunk lid with a bunch of 3 digit codes, the rear end codes will start with a "G" :mrgreen:

Chevelle_68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2011
Norway
Sadly I don`t have the opportunity to open up the rear end gear cower. I am at work offshore for 4 more weeks.
Before I went to work I wrote down some of the numbers I found. The number above that don't seem to make any sense and the VIN number on the dash.
I looked for the number on the axel the same place as were I found it on my 68 Chevelle, but it was hard to reed.

That sticker you are talking about, are already long gone. It looked like the car has been re painted 4-5 times. So it has probably disappeared a long time ago.

Is there some kind of list over what these cars came with from the factory with this engine and trance option?

I need to figure out the rear gears because I am putting in a SBC 350 TBI. In that prose's I want to swap cam as well. For this I need that info.

Thanks for the help so far :D

And sorry for my bad English :oops:

HD

woodss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2010
The stickers and numbers will give you and idea but thats about it. When youre talking about cars that are 25 years old the only way to know for sure what has or hasnt been done is to open it. You can then get the numbers off the gear to determine ratio or just pop the drive shaft and count how many times you turn the yolk to get the wheel to spin once, multiply by 10 and thats your ratio, turning the yolk until the wheel spins 10 times is more accurate. I quess to know for sure youll have to wait until you get back home but thats probably an open rear with a gear in the low 3's or high 2's. I happen to have a nice rear for that car in CT but thats probably another story.

Chevelle_68

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2011
Norway
I guess I got kind of lucky today. I sent an email to the previous owner, and asked him if he ever had seen the trim tag on this car. He could tell me that he had a picture of it, and sent it to me :)
So from what I understand, I have a 7,5” rear end with 2.41 gears and no limited slip.

Where can I find out what the rest of the numbers on that TAG mean?

HD

HDtag.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor