Off The Hook: Using Oxalic Acid to Remove Rust From El Camino Bed Hooks

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
These 4 chrome cargo hooks have been sitting in the Barkeeper's Friend solution for about 25 hours. Progress is slow at this point, and it may be time to mix a new batch.
IMG_20231001_194526254.jpg IMG_20231001_194538475.jpg

However, in the name of science, back they go.

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I'd try a new batch of acid soultion. I've noticed that stuff to lose potency and neutralize alot even just after one time of use/being exposed to open air and humidity. I've done some experimenting with bolts and misc stuff over the years with acid washing and dipping. Did the floor of my Cutlass years ago.

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I've noticed that stuff to lose potency and neutralize a lot even just after one time of use/being exposed to open air and humidity.
That sure seems to be the case. I just assumed that my solution was a little on the weak side to begin with, I really have no idea. Mixing a new batch now, thanks for the tip.

Is it safe to say that if I were to mix the entire container of B.F. at once that it would NOT gradually decrease in strength, but would do so exponentially each time I opened the lid?

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
That sure seems to be the case. I just assumed that my solution was a little on the weak side to begin with, I really have no idea. Mixing a new batch now, thanks for the tip.

Is it safe to say that if I were to mix the entire container of B.F. at once that it would NOT gradually decrease in strength, but would do so exponentially each time I opened the lid?
I would do it as needed. You're mixing the BF with Hot Wheels correct? Im sure the combining of the two and the ensuing chemical reaction creates much of the desired effect that also diminishes over time.

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
The solution I'm mixing seems to have a lifespan of 12 hours.
I would do it as needed. You're mixing the BF with Hot Wheels correct? Im sure the combining of the two and the ensuing chemical reaction creates much of the desired effect that also diminishes over time.
No sir. If that's what the title implies then I need to change it. I'm only mixing the BF with water, nothing else. I included Hot Rims in the title because I scrubbed 6 of the hooks with it prior to using the BF, with a healthy rinse in between.

My recipe has been 4 heaping Tbsp of BF in 3 cups of tap water from a well.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
The solution I'm mixing seems to have a lifespan of 12 hours.

No sir. If that's what the title implies then I need to change it. I'm only mixing the BF with water, nothing else. I included Hot Rims in the title because I scrubbed 6 of the hooks with it prior to using the BF, with a healthy rinse in between.

My recipe has been 4 heaping Tbsp of BF in 3 cups of tap water from a well.
Got it. I'd still do it as needed . Idk where you're at but down here the well water is full of iron. I've had a small pressure cleaning business for almost 20 years and some of the concrete cleaners are acidic, not to mention the chlorine that I use with a downstream injector in a water diluted mix. I have noticed that on the jobs with well water I gotta mix heavier than the city water ones, even if running through the water softener system. Sometimes leftover mix is usually very weak the next day with the well water where the city water solutions can still be used if it's a 2 day job.

Heck keep experimenting, looking good!

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
This is what the hooks look like after nearly 48 hours of soaking in the BF solution.
IMG_20231002_144917954.jpg
As you can see there are a few spots of rust left, but I feel that they'll disappear once I mix up another batch. They look great overall.

What I learned:

Oxalic Acid is definitely a great way to safely remove rust from chrome.

Barkeeper's Friend contains enough Oxalic Acid to be effective for this purpose. Cost: $2.25 + tax

Mixing 4 Tbsp of BF with 3 cups of tap water yields enough solution to soak a whole set of cargo hooks, or other items of similar size.

Scrubbing/scouring is not necessary. Let the chemicals do the work.

This solution appears to have an effective lifespan of 12 hours once the parts are introduced to it.

The solution will remove rust (iron oxide) but will not remove black oxide if it is present. It does not remove paint.

It seems that 24 hours of soaking should be expected for "casual" rust, 48 for moderate. Severe cases have yet to be determined.

Side note:

Using Meguiar's Hot Rims to clean your chrome wheels is fine, but soaking parts in it- even chrome- is not. It eats the chrome and it turns rust to black oxide. Vinegar does the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Yesterday, I finally picked up the power supply I ordered. Hope to play around with it this weekend. Have some copper sulfate to try. Might try some De-rusting and plating.

Attachments

• 20231019_204838.jpg
    20231019_204838.jpg
    834.5 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 2 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Yesterday, I finally picked up the power supply I ordered. Hope to play around with it this weekend. Have some copper sulfate to try. Might try some De-rusting and plating.

I've been meaning to invest in one of those for years and always forget they even exist. I used a similar one at a shop I worked at. I'm looking on scamazon rite now! Thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor