Putting in new transmission , any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Is that the trans that's going in, or coming out? If it's definitely a TH350 that's going in, you will have to connect a vacuum line from the back of the intake to the modulator. The metric 200 and 200-4R does not use a vacuum connection.
As Texas T pointed out, that looks like a 200-4R.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoR

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 21, 2016
New England
Is that the trans that's going in, or coming out? If it's definitely a TH350 that's going in, you will have to connect a vacuum line from the back of the intake to the modulator. The metric 200 and 200-4R does not use a vacuum connection.
As Texas T pointed out, that looks like a 200-4R.

I just saw Texas T's post and looked up the casting # it isn't a 350 as pointed out. How will this affect the installation of the transmission, will it be easier or more difficult. I guess I can use All Data for the procedure for the cutlass the has a 200-4R. Once the BOP adapter is installed would I be able to treat it like if was originally from a cutlass vs Monte Carlo or is there more parts I would have to purchase to make it work properly?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I just saw Texas T's post and looked up the casting # it isn't a 350 as pointed out. How will this affect the installation of the transmission, will it be easier or more difficult. I guess I can use All Data for the procedure for the cutlass the has a 200-4R. Once the BOP adapter is installed would I be able to treat it like if was originally from a cutlass vs Monte Carlo or is there more parts I would have to purchase to make it work properly?
It should be a direct bolt in...and you won't need an adapter, because the 200-4R already has a BOP bolt pattern. You'll need a different cross member though. Both the 200C and 200-4R are basically the same length.
What year is your Cutlass? If it's newer than '84, then it should have the extended frame rail to accommodate the 200-4R cross member....if it's earlier, than you'll need a frame extension on the driver side.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If I remember correctly when the 200r4 came out in 84 they started adding the additional holes for the 200r4 behind the Th200 and Th350 holes in the frame for the cross member. Get a TV cable, not a detent cable. TV cables DO NOT have a slot on the carb end. it's just a little teardrop shaped nub. If your car is a Three Speed auto car, you can hook the shifter up but it will be off. I would look into getting a column from a floor shift car or the cluster from an OD car with a column shift.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor