New opportunity?
Have to for whatever reason?

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Retirement!? What's that?
I'll be retiring when I draw my last breath (Or hit the big one) due to my fun filled misspent youth.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 12 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
What drove you to retire?
Money?
Laid off?
Economy?
Sick of the grind?
Health?
New challenge?
New opportunity?
Have to for whatever reason?
Whelp, I maintain my license to practice in an inactive status, however, I'm told that in these parts is an ethics and professional code of conduct infraction to convert it to active and do anything with it due to treatments/meds.

So, I guess I'm kinda involuntarily retired?

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Opportunity. I had planned on retiring at 60 since I was 50, but the mothership company (we were a subsidiary of) offered an early retirement for the first time in the company's over-century-long existence where they added years and service time if you parachuted out, and I jumped on that. Perfect timing. So I retired at 57 as if I was 61. The wife retired the year before I did. Retirement was calculated using your last highest 5 years' salary average over the last 10, age, and time in-service, so actually working a few more years wouldn't have added much to my retirement check anyway.

We have a fat nest egg stashed away due to years of 401k packing, and it's nice to know we don't really have to worry about money anymore. Being DINK (double income, no kids) was a big plus for us. No kids or grandkids bumming money all the time. Found out you can live on a whole lot less than what you think you can and still do ok. We'll probably need it though the older we get when Medicare and other health problems suck up a good portion of spare cash.

Could we have continued to work? Sure. But why? I haven't gotten to Social Security age yet but will soon. Wife just started hers, and it just all goes in the joint account. When we both are pulling money from SS, based on the estimates, we'll be bringing more home through pensions and SS than we did when we were working. Not even touching the 401k's. So we are still able to maintain the standard of living we were used to before, even with some pesky inflation. But still, nobody likes inflation.

And hopefully soon, we'll be able to get back to doing a bit more travelling that's been put on hold due to Covid.

Reactions: 12 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
At age 55 my Federal service totaled 36 years. You needed a combination of 30 years in service and age 55 for full retirement benefits so I was 6 years over. Around my 55th birthday I took a two week vacation to think about packing it in or not. During that two weeks my Grandson got accepted at a school that provided special programs for kids with Autism. But there was no one to transport him every day. That sealed the deal. I quit and became his everyday ride to school. After school we did his homework until his Mom got home from work. The school was so good that he overcame his Special Ed status, went on to graduate High School with Honors, and is now in his third year of College pursuing a degree in Applied Mathematics. We are so proud of him and I am glad I was there to get him to that special school. As a bonus, being retireded, I was able to take him fishing whenever we felt like it. THAT- is priceless.

• Winner
Reactions: 20 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I left my job just shy of 33 years in 2008 due to an injury. I was 53. I was covered on disability until I hit 66. Then officially retired. Took a while to get used to at first. I worked with a great bunch of people. Some I still see, others are a phone call away. We all were around the same age when we started. All got married and started families around the same time. Most were car, boats, bikes,and gun guys. Its like we grew up together.

Reactions: 7 users

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
Im in a limbo state, i got a mid back injury and have been going through the hoops trying to get it figured out. So I just have a small time job as I go through this, it's big change from being a CNC machinist making wind turbines but the work still flairs me up pretty bad some days

Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I stayed at at two jobs way too long, with no future in them or upward mobility. Small towns, pay sucked, no 401k or retirements. That was 22 years of my adult life. Finally have a decent job that pays good, has a retirement plan, and I'll only have 19 years in here before i turn 63. Not sure WTH I'm going to do honestly. I only have 14 years left

Reactions: 5 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Worked hard my whole life. In my 20's and 30's I worked tons of side jobs after work. Maxed 401k since beginning. Married late at 36. Divorced at 42. No kids.
I've had 3 major lower back surgeries and another cervical. Lots of titanium in me. And nerve damage has retired me since age 51. It's hard right now due to income loss and don't want to touch 401k until 59 and a half. Pain is relentless. But still I fight.
Not the way I thought my retirement would be.

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Im in a limbo state, i got a mid back injury and have been going through the hoops trying to get it figured out. So I just have a small time job as I go through this, it's big change from being a CNC machinist making wind turbines but the work still flairs me up pretty bad some days
I also am in limbo. I like my job, make good money, awesome benefits, but i am getting worn from the contention as that is all i deal with. I am 64 and in pretty good shape financially. Working on a side gig that will provide a decent income. I have a management position offered to me but just do not think i have the enthusiasm to accept.

Reactions: 9 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor