EL CAMINO White lightning our 81 street/strip car

BudsJLM

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2009
No real changes to the car but had a hell of a great time at the track this weekend!

Runners up Saturday and took home first today. We’ll both ended today ran the finals for saturdays race at 12:30 in the morning!

Lost one of the front tires Saturday morning so ended up tossing the rear streets on which will be the move from now on until we get the front runners as he killed the tree this weekend with the bigger diameter tires

IMG_1782.jpeg

Sticker collection is comming along nicely
IMG_2729.jpeg

Fridays sunset was awesome and my son was admiring his dial in board
IMG_1850.jpeg

IMG_2767.jpeg
Obligatory burnout pictures he’s a f’in pro not bad for an open fdiff 🤣😂🤣 o that thing isa ticking time bomb 😬 yay gm 7.5
IMG_1846.jpeg

Red light is what took him out in the finals! Left .005 of a second too early! Saturday nights race taking home second place.
IMG_2798.jpeg

🤣😂🤣 one of the tower girls told him Saturday night when he wins they are going to kiss him on the cheek we’ll today was the day
IMG_1900.jpeg

IMG_1883.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Glad to see he’s having fun. My dad was a bracket racer my whole childhood. My dad sold his s/g nova in 1988 and in 1989 he put me in a 14 sec Malibu at 15. I eventually went 13.60’s at 102 and then kept driving faster and faster cars until I had gone as quick as mid 8’s at 156. I finally sold my last bracket car in 2018 and have gone back to street cars now at 49!! Let him keep going. Et is a number consistency is king!,

BudsJLM

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2009
Swapped all exterior lighting over to leds recently,
IMG_2955.jpeg

Nabbed the amazon special headlights out of my beater 93 1500 because old halogens were trash and I like seeing at night!
IMG_2958.jpeg

wired them up so below the projectors are on when running light are one and the blink orange, forgot to nab some orange ones so had my son paint white ones for the time being(which have been swapped at this point)
IMG_2960.jpeg
Added another track to the car. Went down to cedar falls in Iowa and car was super inconsistent, think the fuel pump was tanking a dump IMG_3077.jpeg
IMG_3090.jpeg

IMG_3092.jpeg

Got home a realized the tow rig was in need of some attention. Bumper said I’ve had enought and little did I realize how much weight the bumper supported the hitch
IMG_3093.jpeg

Replace the fuel pump and find this. Yup that’ll do it! Anti float spring gave up the ghost! new fuel pump in. drove it to work today feels great! Surging is gone
IMG_3149.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

BudsJLM

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2009
Glad to see he’s having fun. My dad was a bracket racer my whole childhood. My dad sold his s/g nova in 1988 and in 1989 he put me in a 14 sec Malibu at 15. I eventually went 13.60’s at 102 and then kept driving faster and faster cars until I had gone as quick as mid 8’s at 156. I finally sold my last bracket car in 2018 and have gone back to street cars now at 49!! Let him keep going. Et is a number consistency is king!,
Been hard at it for the last 7 years, this is car #3
Older spritzer jr was his first, actually started with the same motor his mother had in her jr when she raced.
IMG_1630.jpeg

Picked up car #2 out of Pennsylvania, 06 kcs jr IMG_0875.jpeg
Ran it 8.90 and 7.90 was a great car!
IMG_1487.jpeg

The smile says it all
IMG_2706.jpeg

He loves racing white lightening, he happily round robins it during testing, it was always a fight in the jr

Reactions: 5 users

BudsJLM

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2009
Comming home from work last Friday my pedal got super soft found on of the front rubber lines gave up the fight. Replacement was fine ran into issues bleeding it
IMG_3177.jpeg

The ol blender screw said nah not today
IMG_3178.jpeg

Pads were shot rotor was meh didn’t really want to spend money on new because I’d like to upgrade them this winterwhen we do the rest of the work.

so was going to steal them from the monte to finish out our racing season. Pulled the drivers wheel off and no caliper! sh*t I didn’t realized I had no brakes at all on it. I did steal the rotors because they were like brand new So then off to the parts house, new calipers and pads,
IMG_3179.jpeg

Gave both sides the same treatment, new soft line,pads and calipers
IMG_3181.jpeg

kid and I went for a good 2.5hr drive had to make sure it would do a good ol burnout. It does
IMG_3182.jpeg

I was too slow to get the smoke rolling out the wheel wells dang

Reactions: 2 users

BudsJLM

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2009
Another race weekend in the books, still fighting issues, kept dying after the burnout, flooding out, super inconsistent driver issues so out first round both Saturday and Sunday. Couple cooks pics
IMG_2889.jpeg

IMG_3216.png

Saturday night we changed probably too much but stabbed a new fuel filter in it, tossed a different secondary spring in to slow those opening up down, slowed down the accelerometer pump down, recheck and changed timing and tossed a vacuum gauge on it definitely made a difference
IMG_2888.jpeg

Unfortunately drive took himself out 1st round sun. killed the tree .018 to the other guys .151 light but bracket racing got him, he stabbed the brakes at the finish line and gave too much back. But I’m kind of ok with it high 90’s and humid today we were ok getting packed up and home to the a/c

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Love to see the family adventure with the car.

PLEASE do me a favor and change every brake hose and rusty brake line on that thing - your most valuable possession is behind the wheel.

Looks like fun!!!

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Man, wish I had you as a dad when I was 16! Awesome stuff for some great father/son memories.

Also glad that the decal for the name of the car was spelled correctly.:D Every time you type the name of the car in this thread, I think you are making the car lighter, less heavy, the act of lightening something.
Just ribbing ya. Great thread!

Reactions: 1 user

BudsJLM

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2009
End of season came a went she’s just been chilling in the garage, we had a dusting of snow Halloween night so salt meant she’s parked!

Picked up one of them Chinese diesel heaters off Amazon to help keep the garage decent when working in it, used to run my sunflower heater but not a fan of sucking all the oxygen outa the air when I’m trying to work in here.

Woke up to 15* this am outside but garage was probably in the 40’s on low almost warm enough to work in a tshirt since I’ve bumped it up
IMG_3507.jpeg

The garage shuffle commenced Monte into the trailer for the winter and stuffed it next to the garage, not much room to spare!
IMG_3307.jpeg

IMG_3310.jpeg

made a scrap run with white lightening
IMG_3311.jpeg

Got a Elco decal to replace the jr decal in the tow rig
IMG_3304.jpeg

When all said and done had to take a it’s the mid 90’s picture 😂
IMG_3309.jpeg

Reactions: 8 users

BudsJLM

Apprentice
Nov 30, 2009
Started playing with the 350 due to go in there…

Found some problems
Timing chain is plum wore out but I already have a new one by found the cam and lifters are shot, glad I didn’t just toss it back together and send it

This motor was a really good running motor when it was pulled out of my buddies blazer I’m actually suprised at how well it ran for having the cam on its way out.

Got it off him for free because being a 379 block and being told it was a 305 when he bought the truck he couldn’t have that and built a different 350 for it

1 of the 16 lifters are good. Well time to start shopping
IMG_3501.jpeg
IMG_3500.jpeg
IMG_3504.jpeg

Took it down a little further crank looks good but clearly had some trash ran through it probably from the failing lifters so bearing on the list, might as well dingle ball the cyl walls and tops in new rings while I’m at it
IMG_3515.jpeg

IMG_3514.jpeg

IMG_3513.jpeg

IMG_3508.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor