Not open for further replies.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
86monte said:
8TRAY said:
86monte said:
Sounds like things are coming along good. I cant find any of the parts i need for my monte. It sucks.
try checking the for sale section of the forum, craiglist, ebay, local yards.... the parts are out there, just gotta go get em. trust me, the longer u wait, the longer it will take for u to even be motivated and then it really sucks. theres always somebody on here or other gbody forums selling something.

Well you were right. I found an 86 SS Monte for $700 bucks. Has all the parts i need! Looks like things are Coming along good keep up the good work!

That's awesome!! You never know what you will find. Yeah it was going all good had everything finshed ready to go for the first start up and road test went to put the water pump on and the bolt just snapped off in the hole went to get it out with the ez out and long story short it screwed up the passenger side water pump hole. So now I've got to pull the engine AGAIN and send my extra block out to be bored .30 over and zero decked. So there's an additional 285 dollars. Since it will be out and apart again I'm going to upgrade cams and a couple other things. Right now I'm at a stand still because of money. I start my new job soon at a BIG aftermarket racing clyinder head company pretty excited for that!!!!

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
avin85cutty said:
damn this is a great thread.. im 25 so seeing ur 19 i feel like sh*t cuz i cant do 99.9% of what u have done.. lol cant wait to see what else u do..what color u thinking for the car??

Haha, same here! I had way more money when I was 19 than I do now. I get excited seeing threads like this. Keep up the good work man

86monte

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2012
Vermont
MPac said:
That's awesome!! You never know what you will find. Yeah it was going all good had everything finshed ready to go for the first start up and road test went to put the water pump on and the bolt just snapped off in the hole went to get it out with the ez out and long story short it screwed up the passenger side water pump hole. So now I've got to pull the engine AGAIN and send my extra block out to be bored .30 over and zero decked. So there's an additional 285 dollars. Since it will be out and apart again I'm going to upgrade cams and a couple other things. Right now I'm at a stand still because of money. I start my new job soon at a BIG aftermarket racing clyinder head company pretty excited for that!!!!

Nice maybe you'll get discounts! lol. You have had your engine apart and back together several times in the time its taken me just to get mine stripped down. Wish i had your knowledge man lol. Im trying to find some books to help me out

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Lol yeah I hope I get one too. I LOVE it there! Recently I got to go out to IMIS with them and met Tommy Johnson Jr. and Larry Morgan! :D

My build is going a different route for now. A guy traded me a complete recently rebuilt 283 for my World Products heads. I'm buying a set of 416 heads later this week and I'm going to take them into work and start porting them out and milling them down. 8) Did I mention I love my new job? I get to do what ever I need to do to my heads there for free!!!!

I'm still going to build my 355 but I changed it up a bit. Since I've got an S10 now I can go more radical on my build like I wanted. I'm going with a set of 195 heads from work nice cam .501/.528 lift 108 LSA 10.5 to 1 compression 1.6 roller rockers Holley 750 double pumper. Bigger gears in the back going with a 4.10. Right now I've got all the engine parts together except for the cam and heads. Which I'll be getting those heads soon.

Plus the cool thing about getting this 283 is since it's pretty built up other then someone dropped 882 heads on it dropping the compression down the 7's they really went all out on it. .30 over 2v flat tops, .506 solid lift cam factory forged bottom end. I think I got a pretty good deal! So once the 355 is done I can drop the 283 in my S10 when the 4.3 blows. LOL the truck has 308,000 miles on it all original and still runs Perfect. So that probably won't be for awhile. But for now the build is gonna be contained to updating the 283 for now till it warms up cause it's colder then a fat womans t*ts here in ohio.

Wild Card

Apprentice
Jan 5, 2013
looks like youve made alot of progress. i used to have a clean 87 cutlass when i was 22 but a b*tch i was datin sucked me into gettin rid of it. yea, you read that right. im 23 now and i picked up a 83 cutlass for $450 and im slowly turning it into a muscle car. im stayin with a olds motor thow and im currently on the hunt for a olds 350 or 403 in Arkansas. i have a stock olds 307 in my car right now with a holley 350 2bbl and it runs like a brand new car. i just got rid of the complete AC system and all the smog BS. im gonna go hunting a power stearing pump after work tomorrow and mabe some bucket seats. heres what im workin with.she still has a long way to go.im ditchin my crager wire wheels in favor of some oldschool crager ss mag rims. the first 2 should be here tomorrow. then the hunt is on for 2 more.

Attachments

• cutlass front.JPG
    cutlass front.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 586
  • cutlass motor.JPG
    cutlass motor.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 578
  • cutlass inside.JPG
    cutlass inside.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 567

86monte

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2012
Vermont
MPac said:
Lol yeah I hope I get one too. I LOVE it there! Recently I got to go out to IMIS with them and met Tommy Johnson Jr. and Larry Morgan! :D

My build is going a different route for now. A guy traded me a complete recently rebuilt 283 for my World Products heads. I'm buying a set of 416 heads later this week and I'm going to take them into work and start porting them out and milling them down. 8) Did I mention I love my new job? I get to do what ever I need to do to my heads there for free!!!!

I'm still going to build my 355 but I changed it up a bit. Since I've got an S10 now I can go more radical on my build like I wanted. I'm going with a set of 195 heads from work nice cam .501/.528 lift 108 LSA 10.5 to 1 compression 1.6 roller rockers Holley 750 double pumper. Bigger gears in the back going with a 4.10. Right now I've got all the engine parts together except for the cam and heads. Which I'll be getting those heads soon.

I mean, if you wanted to send one of your many engines up to Vermont for me i wouldn't complain...haha. Sounds like things are coming along nicely!

ChevyRidinHigh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
Mission BC, Canada
Hey man , just wanted to say awsome build. Cant wait to see more pics and possibly a video of startup when new engines up and running. Im 23 and now have an 81 malibu build on the go...has 3.8 v6 but plan to throw a chevy 350 in or possibly a 327. but got my gauges hooked up and all to get rid of the idiot lights lol. and in the pic of the malibu ( below ) i have the old school cragar nomad II rims on the front i have set for rear but its winter here so threw on winter tires on the rear. best part is Frame is mint aswell, just minor surface rust needs to be sanded away once i get to painting it.

Iv had 5 gbodys in total now from 1980 grand lemans 2door , 86 cutlass with sunroof 2door, 81 olds regency 98 4door, a 79 turbo regal ( regret selling it lol ) , and now the 81 malibu build.

Attachments

• 16791_10151291566058819_773459135_n.jpg
    16791_10151291566058819_773459135_n.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 1,097

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
Lol 86Monte I've got the short block that I fudged up, The block I orininally had in the car and spun the bearing on and my 283. But thanks for the compliments! I really appreciate it and it gets my butt in gear!

Wild Card that's awesome good luck man! BTW if at some point you do go Chevy engine instead get a power steering pump off of a mid 80's chevy truck and it will bolt right up that's what I use.

ChevyRidinHigh Get on that project boy! Lol. But on your engine choice what's your plan with the car? 327 is gonna be happier at higher RPM's such as 7,000 and above and really like 4 speeds. 350 will be torquer and if built right will spin upp just as high as the 327 but will be cheaper to build for power. Either way they both would be sweet!!

Alright guys picked up my 283 last night. I got a great suprise! Ends up I have a 61 Corvette block which I've seen just the block it's self go anywhere from 500 to 1,200! So I'm at a rock and a hard place on wither to go ahead with the build on the engine or seal it up and sell it... Tough decsions.

But I got my really big suprise last night. When I got the engine the guy told me it was .030 flat tops. When I originally looked at the engine I saw it had a set of 882 heads. For all of you not familiar with those heads it's a smogger head that was thrown on mid 70's 350 that where the best of the worst heads per say. Meaning out of all the crap heads they had at the time they where the best. Well those heads come with 76cc chambers.

So I had done the math before I got the engine with standard deck height which would be .025, .041 head gasket, -5cc dome height for the flat tops, 3.905 bore for 30 over and 3 inch stroke came out to mid 7's to 1 cr. Well I pulled the heads off last night and guess what I found?

:D Some big old Dome pistons sitting in there with a nice cross hatch on the bore. Pretty much the engine was literally rebuilt!! Wooooooooo!!!!!!!! So in a bit I'm going to go out and CC the domes to figure out the dome height to figure compression of the engine so I can figure out what size I need to make the chambers on the heads I'm porting out.

After dinner I'll get some pics of the engine and if I can find something that will measure CC's of liquid I will go ahead and CC them. Which I will include a step by step instrutions on how to figure out the cc of a piston wither it's dish, flat, or dome.

I traded my S/R Toqurers for the 283. I had no money in the heads since they were free. The guy also gave me a high torque mini starter and Holley 600 carb with the engine. I'd say I got a damn good deal! :lol:

ChevyRidinHigh

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 26, 2012
Mission BC, Canada
At the moment its slowly getting done do to winter and it being cold outside haha.
But i have a high output 327 on my engine stand in the garage picked up for free from an ex gf lol.
Hole bottom half was re-done so its CLEAN, just have to clean up top half get head gaskets for it , headers and bolt it in so it would be the cheapest route. and Im looking for a stock 4 speed standard trans from a malibu but thats gona be hard to find so worse comes to worse il throw a 5 speed in it. its gona be getting a 8.5 posi rear end , bucket seats with custom center console, and a 2" cowl hood and some 15" SSIII olds rims or some z28 camaro rims havnt decided yet lol.

MPac

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2012
New Carlisle, Ohio
ChevyRidinHigh said:
At the moment its slowly getting done do to winter and it being cold outside haha.
But i have a high output 327 on my engine stand in the garage picked up for free from an ex gf lol.
Hole bottom half was re-done so its CLEAN, just have to clean up top half get head gaskets for it , headers and bolt it in so it would be the cheapest route. and Im looking for a stock 4 speed standard trans from a malibu but thats gona be hard to find so worse comes to worse il throw a 5 speed in it. its gona be getting a 8.5 posi rear end , bucket seats with custom center console, and a 2" cowl hood and some 15" SSIII olds rims or some z28 camaro rims havnt decided yet lol.

Atta boy! What are you using for heads? Sounds like it will be pretty trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor