1985 442 78 Amp 12SI Alternator Restoration

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The time has come. I finally took the original code AR alternator out of the 60K mile 85 442. It's going to get a makeover with mostly Delco parts. The casing halves will be refinished and reused. Because-originality to the car.

I will be reusing the internal fastener screws/nuts, front bearing reatiner, and replating and reusing the casing through-bolts, but pretty much everything else will be new GM/Delco parts. I even have new Aptiv (formerly Delphi) correct regulator plastic connector in the semi-transparent cream color.

The new triple diode, resistor, rectifier, rotor, and stator have already been meter checked for resistance, grounds, and opens. So it appears everything is ready to go as far as the new parts. Now I just have to disassemble the thing and I'm farming out the replating and refinishing of the bolts and casing halves.

Not much to these things, but most people never bother to take them apart and rebuild them. So if you're ever in the mood to keep your original alternator, maybe this little writeup may help you. Or you could simply cheap out and buy the reman unit.

So, what do you do first? Well, the first thing to do is remove the alternator from the car.

This is what I'm working with. Yuk.
85 442 alternator.jpg

Hopefully it won't look this bad when done.

Next up, a list of parts I either have in my stash, or need to go scrounge up.
Red dot next to them means that they are on hand. A couple of them I had to get the supersession number or a previous part number.

Alternator Parts List 85 442.jpg

Some of the parts:

85 442 Alternator New Rotor box 1984446.jpg

Not sure if the 4G means year and month of manufacture or not (1984 July?). The 466 is the last 3 of the part number.
85 442 Alternator New Rotor 1984466.jpg

These special washers below go between the nut and pulley. They're wavy and no splits. They simply compress and provide the tension.
12SI Alternator spring washers.jpg

IMG-1236.jpg

Note the early 80s p/n terminal kit (positive post on back of alternator) has a GREEN insulator. Which is great because the original has a green insulator too. The supersession terminal kit has a black insulator.
IMG-1235.jpg

The resistor is 40 ohms as noted by the "40" on the RH end. It actually came out to 40.1 ohm.
Alternator resistor 40 ohm.jpg

12SI alternator stator 1984445.jpg

Got an NTN front bearing for the rotor for way less than a Delco NTN bearing. Made in USA even.
Condensor regulator diode brush holder rectifier 12SI.jpg

Now it's just a matter of yanking that thing apart, field stripping it, and sending off the carcass shells and fasteners for a refresh.

More to come...

Reactions: 5 users

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
Cool beans. You sending the bracket also?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Cool beans. You sending the bracket also?
Not sure yet. I might. I've got NOS brackets, so not sure what I'm going to do with all that yet. I might refinish them anyway just because. It's just periphery bracing and 3 bolts to the head and it's off.

Reactions: 1 user

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I even have new Aptiv (formerly Delphi) correct regulator plastic connector in the semi-transparent cream color.
Are those Aptiv connectors still around? I couldn't find any.
I've seen several pigtail AC Delco versions floating around, PT181 12101909, that look not as snow white/clear as the reproductions but look to be a little too white and I have this one that I believe to be an NOS one:
Alt connector.png

Rocknrod

All Around Good Egg
Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2024
I usually have to buy a 12si connector and Packard 56 terminals separate to wire in my alternators. Because they always come pre-wired (pigtail) and and I dislike that.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
According to delphi/Aptiv, they made cream ones and gray ones, IIRC. The cream ones are like the one in your picture. They're semi-transparent. You can sorta make out some connector pieces inside, but not a real good view. That's what's on the 85 and I know for sure it's original.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
1705697481250.png

Pretty sure this would be the correct p/n. Not mine, but they look just like this. I have like, 10 of them. 12015684 is the p/n for the light green ones. Sorry. Thought they were gray and cream. It's light green and cream.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The 12101909 is the last supersession number available. It took the place of the connector plastic only 6294493 about 30 years ago. Although Aptiv still makes the plastic ones I do believe. It's interesting that they went to a pigtail. I guess it made it easier for the parts monkeys behind the counter at the dealerships. I gotta dig out those connectors. I know I got them somewhere.

I thought they had gray ones, but I was thinking of the black, gray, or semi-clear A/C R4 compressor connector housings. So never mind that.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor