442 1985 Underhood Spaghetti Hose Reproduction Starts Today

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So...I've learned a bunch about hoses and vacuum lines, etc., in the last week. Spent some time under the hood of the 85 442 and imagining if that were real spaghetti, I couldn't eat all of it in one sitting. That's a lot of spaghetti! The car is probably 95 percent original under the hood, save for belts/hoses, and little sundry things. So I've got a pretty good lay of the land as far as what goes where and what is stamped on each hose.

Thing is, what's really sad, is that at some point in time early in its life, there were little paper part number tags on vacuum hose assemblies. Those, unfortunately, have mostly dried, cracked, and fell off. I do have some reproduction tags made for them, and will do the best I can to replace what was once there, but I have no idea how many SHOULD be there and exactly where.

But, I have decided that there are way too many miles of hoses and tubes running everywhere that are basically 40 years old and need replacing. Some have started showing signs of getting dry and saw surface cracks in areas. Which means you don't know how deep they go and/or if there's a leak happening or going to happen soon. Some hoses actually have some hard spots developing. Yikes.

I've looked under a lot of hoods of low-mile examples searching across the interwebs. And I did notice one thing about the CCV canister to TVS fuel hose routing. My hose runs from the canister up underneath the rad overflow tank on the rear innner hold down bolt. Then makes a hard right toward the engine and over to the TVS on the intake. I've seen SOME cars just have that very line just sort of bumping up against the overflow tank and then heading right toward the engine.

My hope is to replicate as many lines as I can, and get as close to reproducing the hoses as possible that look like they came on the car. May not happen the way I'd like it to end up in my head. Might end up looking like a clown show, similar to a 12-year-old girl putting on her first make-up session, but I'm going to try it and see. NOBODY I know of has ever attempted this. Well, except the Corvette guys but they're more mental-cased than me.

What did I do? I researched each and every tiny little hose I could find. Which wasn't easy. Documenting the spacing, fonts, and sizes for the hoses, what was printed and where. There's only like 4 different colors used that I can find. White, teal, ruddy red, and green. The carb vent hose uses a green size/use/date code on one side, and on the other side a white dash line. The 5/16" gas tank vent is a weird, smooth hose with ruddy red lettering on it, and the PCV hose "VD" coded, uses a teal blue/green lettering on it. The rest of the hoses are white lettering. Some hoses have information on one side of the hose, some on both sides, and a couple there's nothing. Weirdest situation was the brake booster hose. It has TWO different, but same sized, hoses on the booster to filter, then filter to metal vacuum tubing to manifold.

Strangely, the power steering hoses don't have any markings on them. The NOS pressure hose doesn't have any markings on it, either. I got some "bulk" NOS GM return hose somewhere, I gotta find it. So not sure if it has any markings on it, but the original doesn't. It's only about a foot long, but I remember when you buy new GM hose over the counter, you had to get a minimum of 10' in a box. Or a huge-azz roll. :oops:

Another thing I found was that was weird is that the '87 442 uses 7/32" vacuum tubing to the manifold differential pressure sensor connector Y's in front of the air cleaner and CCV actuator while the 85 used 5/32 tubing. Actually they're miniature nylon reinforced fuel lines. Just slightly different sizes. But they're only like 2" long or so. I don't know why, but that's what was stamped on the sides of those hoses.

I've already got the ink for the rubber stamps I'm having custom made. Some tiny, some not so tiny. The stamps themselves are in the mail and should arrive today. I'll post further as the project gets underway.

Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
First up...test run on probably the easiest to do out of them all.

The LOWER 2" 11/16" booster filter hose to the manifold vacuum. For some reason this had HUGE lettering on it. Not much to it.

Starting with genuine GM 11/16" booster hose.
IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0126.jpg

Hit it with a bit of lacquer thinner (thanks Rktpwrd for that tip) and it takes a little bit of work, and I didn't get all of it here, but enough to do the test. Still can make out some faint lettering. That sh*t is on there.
IMG_0127.jpg
IMG_0128.jpg

Drop the stamps on it and boom. Now once the ink dries, I can just cut off 2" and it's basically done. It's marked further up than that, but there's not room for everything. The 2" mark would actually lose the "KX"

IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg

As compared to original. Technically, there's a date after the "KX" on the original hose, however, as you can see, there's only a SLIVER of a 1 showing, so it was an Oct/Nov/Dec 84 date, but which one? You'd never see it more than likely. I'm not even going to bother.

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

Perfection? Far from it. But it's hella closer than you'll likely ever see on another car that isn't wearing their original hoses. I might try and fix the font a bit if I can find something closer, but for now, this will just have to do.

Reactions: 4 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
where are you getting the rubber stamps made, if you can share? I've tried at several business stores and they don't was to pend he time to accomodate anythingg that isn't on their shelf .

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
rubberstamps.net

They'll make about anything you want. Amazingly quick, too. Ordered Monday morning, got them yesterday. USPS must've messed up and actually scanned and moved everything when they were supposed to.

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
40 miles. That's an approximate measurement of the total length of the spaghetti under the hood. Ok, maybe not. Most of it's 5/32. Some 7/32. But not much of the 7/32.

Interesting that the vacuum tank on the driver fender has about a 5" piece going to a Tee. 5/32 on tank side, 5/32 on line going across to the cruise control servo. And 7/32 going to the two-port vacuum check valve and into the vacuum port tower right in front of the distributor. The HVAC line is #1 in the pic below.

AC underhood HVAC vacuum lines.JPG

The original 2-port vacuum check valve looks a little like this. The "tee" end, sticking down toward bottom right in the picture below, goes to the HVAC vacuum supply. The taper points in the direction of flow. Thus, the right, upward pointing port in the picture below taps in to that vacuum ball on the driver fender. The other side goes to the vacuum port tower on the back of the intake manifold to provide full vacuum to the HVAC and cruise control any time the engine is running. Now, the WEIRD part. Original valve has 7/32" connections all around. Finding that valve proved futile. The "newer" (40 years old) valve used p/n 14056648, which is shown below. It has ONE 7/32" port, but the two others connect via 5/32" ports. It's not a major deal, but I find that very odd. The 1987 442 has a 5/32" line from the vacuum tank Tee where the 85 has the 7/32". This is due to the smaller porting. Doesn't affect operation, but just be aware there ARE differences on an 84/85 factory setup.
1714844821426.png

Today's little hose section is fairly straightforward but SUPER important. It involves the wad of RVB/EGR solenoid vacuum lines. This set goes to the RVB solenoid, which is the bottom half, if you will, of the solenoid pack located on the rear driver corner of the 307. It also supplies vacuum via the port on the rear of the carb base to the A.I.R. switching valve on the passenger side front valve cover behind the A/C compressor. And finally, it also supplies vacuum to the EFE valve connecting through the EFE TVS valve on the rear driver corner on the intake. The TVS controls when the EFE is closed when cold under vacuum to force exhaust through the center of the intake to the other side, or when up to temperature, the TVS moves to vented position to "fail" open the EFE vavle to open up the exhaust to the crossover pipe.

rear of engine vacuum lines markup.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Highwaystars makes printed vacuum line for 7/32 and 5/32
Yeah, I've seen that before. Unfortunately, it's incorrect for my needs. There's no hose with that size/date code on my car. If I wanted incorrect dates and fonts for the 85, I'd have bought some of that. Too bad they didn't have a way to custom build your own info on them. As it were, the car would have to be built in the middle/end of February 87 just to even consider those hose dates in the right range minimum. The only place those fonts are used on the 85 is the A.I.R. pump vacuum hose to the switching valve. It's about 5" long roughly. IIRC, it's also ABG instead of HS-1. On the other side is a series of dashes, similar to the carb vent line.

There's all sorts of different lettering styles on those vacuum and vent hoses. By 1987, some parts of it had changed, so it may be applicable to those. I'm simply going to go by what's written on my hoses. Those air cleaner hoses connected up front on the carb- a couple of them on the 87 442 is 7/32", and on the 85, they're 5/32". Go figure. Routing is pretty much the same, but some of the sizes are different. Don't know why. I do know why now on the two-way check valve at the rear of the intake. Perhaps that's why they used a 5/32" hose from the ball to the check valve on the 87 and 7/32" on the 85.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Took care of that pesky 5/16" CCV canister vent line from the gas tank. That hose is a weird one. It's some sort of NBR covered silicon or nitrile?? or some sort of line. Amazingly, I found a newer GM charcoal vent hose that fits a truck on the bay for cheap that was within 1/4" of an inch in length of the original and is a spitting image of the original. The OEM is stiff as f*** as it aged over the years. The new one is almost like limp spaghetti. Unfortunate, the new hose had the same orangy-red looking lettering I had to wipe off.

IMG_0137.jpg

As well as the Canister vent valve and smaller spaghetti pieces. The carb vent is the only hose I've found so far to have GREEN ink on it. WTF.

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor