1987 Cutlass Salon floor shifter 85mph rallye gauge cluster removal and LED bulb replacement

Chenz62

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2024
Long Island NY
IMG_8198.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8199.jpeg
    IMG_8199.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8

Chenz62

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2024
Long Island NY
All back in. Perfect!!!!
what i learned: All 13 bulbs replaced with T-10 LEDs from Yorkim. Idiot lights, turn signals, bright indicator and guages all look. perfectly bright!!! No “pinks or whites” where red or amber should be. I took a leap of faith and am amazed. No polarity issues. No failed bulbs. Bulbs are “360” technology. ( light disbursement)
I realized after the fact that i could’ve tested each new “bulb” in a side marker socket.
speedo cable and wires attached to cluster with a screw required finesse and slowness to think it through.
Iwhen i placed the cluster back in finally, the guages all read wrong. 10 seconds later i thought: let me gently push cluster in as if screws were in and tight. Magic! All guages work. Test ride after completed: Perfect. Ill post some nighttime pix and then stop belaboring this thread. Thank You All

Attachments

• IMG_8221.jpeg
    IMG_8221.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That cluster clip where the circuit board connects can be a bit problematic. Forgot to tell you about that. Sometimes the contact points get cruddy and a pencil eraser works well to get rid of the gunk. So does jiggling the cluster as you found out. That clip set needs to be all up in them guts to make a good connection. Glad it worked out for you.

You shoulda made a video so you would have something to point others to when they want to do the same thing.

Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
It’s nice to have clean clear light for the gauges. I did notice your volts and oil gauges don’t appear to be working. Is that correct?

Chenz62

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 4, 2024
Long Island NY
That cluster clip where the circuit board connects can be a bit problematic. Forgot to tell you about that. Sometimes the contact points get cruddy and a pencil eraser works well to get rid of the gunk. So does jiggling the cluster as you found out. That clip set needs to be all up in them guts to make a good connection. Glad it worked out for you.

You shoulda made a video so you would have something to point others to when they want to do the same thing.
yes. but there may have been some cursing on my vid😀
It’s nice to have clean clear light for the gauges. I did notice your volts and oil gauges don’t appear to be working. Is that correct?
Pic taken just by putting lights on, not engine. All is good as when started up! Rpm, odo, oil, temp, volts, gasoline..
And you are Soooo right about the availability of the park light screw!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor