1987 regal carb help

87gbodydanny

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2023
Las Vegas
Sending my carb to get rebuilt so took it off. I see this and to me it looks like it’s in bad shape . What is the name to this and what does it do?
Still new to carburetors 1987 3.8 limited regal
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_7168.jpeg
    IMG_7168.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7166.jpeg
    IMG_7166.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That is a carburetor to intake heater, I have never seen one and I am guessing it would be for vehicles primarily driven in cold climates

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Shouldn't be any issues running it in Vegas without it. But, if you do find yourself with issues and want to replace it:
GM

Aftermarket

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
If I remember right it's called an Early Fuel Evaporation or EFE heater. Preheats the fuel. It's all about consistency with the fueling. A carb is a static metering device in a dynamic environment. It's a tough balance to keep it running the same in every weather condition. That being said, chuck it. Tape up the receiving plug and tuck it away. Unless you have vehicle emissions inspections.

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Before you send the carburetor out, either replace the EFE heater or install just a gasket. We replaced those under warranty often for drivability issues.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The heater is only to improve and clean up engine performance during cold start up. Some of the low emssion systems only operate when the engine is cold after startup. Cold engines burn dirtier, run rougher, and wear faster. Once the engine warms up the grid shuts off.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor