200 r4 torque converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
I am in the process of getting a 350 together to drop into my 85 ss. I'm not building it too powerful right now but would figure I might as well upgrade the converter while the motor is out. Seems every time I try to research them most of the results are for the 700. From what I understand some are interchangeable. How can I tell what will work?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You need a 27 spline, not the later 30 spline. Your factory converter will stall 2000+, probably closer to 2400 rating with the increase in torque. The cheap 2200-2500 and 2000-2600 stall rated converters flashed 2300 and 2400 behind a mild 350 and 403 Olds V8. The factory low stall D9 flashed at 1900 behind both.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
I have a 207/214 cam in my current 305. It has a noticeable idle, close to stalling sometimes & goes from sluggish to badass as the rpms build. I have been thinking about using it in the 350. From what I've read it should be milder in a larger motor with a better power curve. My goal for the car is a weekend cruiser by the way. I pretty much want to at least have a mental list of where I want to end up with the build. What kind of stall would work with this but still be decent if I went to a cam in the 230 range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor