200r4 Install HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
Hello,
I really need your help guys and gals. I'm going to try to install a 200r4 in my
1987 442 never done any thing like this befor any tips on what to do first.
Step by step would help. I just bought a cz monte trans form a fellow member
with only 70000 miles on it and shifted good. I just can't afford a shop to install it.
or if anyone in IL can I will pay you to install or help me with install.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
I can't think of any tricks myself. It's actually pretty straight forward, just a little more time consuming than say doing an oil change. You should be able to do it by yourself with basic hand tools and a floor jack. An extra buddy to help you out would be nice, but not mandatory.

hereiam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
Take some time and do some reading on how to adjust the tcv cable. That is about the most important part when you are installing the transmission.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Get the car up high and I used a 2' extension with a swivel socket to get the top bolts on the transmission. You can get those from on top but with the car up in the air I find my way easier. And don't forget to install the filler tube and the sleeve for the wires going to the starter. There is also a clip for the wiring that gets installed with a top bolt. Before you put the transmission in place make sure the converter is sitting back into the transmission

marz442

Greasemonkey
Jan 12, 2013
Cicero Il
Pontiacgp, thats the type of help I was looking for.
please if you remmber anything else please let me know.
Thank you,
Mario

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
It's not a hard job, but make sure you use caution when doing this. I'd give yourself a good day to remove and re-install.

1) TAKE YOUR TIME. Double check everything before you drop it down. It's not a difficult job, I've done it several times now, just tedious.
2) Disconnect and remove your driveshaft. Be sure you've disconnected your transmission cooler lines, remove your trans dipstick (if possible, this will make it much easier to pull out, as you won't have to raise the car up so much to get the transmission out once it's down). Disconnect your speedo cable, OD wires, shifter linkage (be sure you keep your shift linkage parts in a safe place and togther), kickdown cable, torque converter cover, the exhaust, starter (if these need to be removed), and anything else I may be missing.
3) Support the transmission with a jack (use wood blocks if you use a standard jack, see more below) Start to remove bellhousing bolts (keep these in a safe place as well)
4)start to undo transmission x-member bolts, start with transmission, then move to frame bolts. Jack up the transmission all the way up, remove x-member.
5) SLOWLY let down transmission - keep it balanced, keep an eye on your torque converter.
6) Pull transmission out from underneath car.
This is just all from what I remember when I did it. Take your time and use your head - like i said it's not difficult, just be careful, it's all pretty straightforward once you start getting into it. What type of jack do you have? You can find adapters for your jack to make it a transmission jack (round part should just pull out and then place in transmission jack, sorry, don't really know proper word for it). This will help a lot - I had to use a standard jack with a block of wood whenever I did mine (so I didn't dent the trans oilpan). I think you can get an AC Delco one for around $80-$100, if you want (this will make your life easier doing this). I used a long extension (12"-15") to get to the bellhousing bolts from underneath, this worked well for me. If I remember anythign else, I'll try to post it. If I lived closer I'd be happy to come help - Good luck! 8)

85Frankencar

Greasemonkey
May 17, 2010
Indy
All Motor Boys said:
be sure to disconnect the battery. Im not sure what engine have but make sure the distributor cap don't hit firewall.
Ya thats a good idea....kinda forgot mines not had a battery in it for years so I didnt have to worry about that when i did my swap....
(not to threadjack where in indy are you?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor