200r4 upgrading??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliCuttie

Apprentice
Jun 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Hey G-body peeps,
I'm in the process of converting my stock 86 Cutlass into a respectable street rod. So far I've gotten my rear end (still needs to be put in), and currently hunting down an Olds 350. From my understanding, my 200r4 transmission was designed to deal with that boat anchor we call an Olds 307. Now I know Grand Nationals have these trannys as well but my understanding is those have been beefed up as well. My transmission has been great so far, but my fear is once I really start getting some power out of the Cutty that it may be too much for my transmission to handle. I'd rather spend a few hundred right now and make it more heavy duty than have to pay thousands getting a new transmission or completely rebuilding it and putting it back in. When I bought it the guy said he had put a shift kit in it, but I'm not too sure how much good that would do. Let me know what parts I would need to put in and maybe HOW they work cuz I have no idea. transmissions are a big mystery to me haha.
Thanks!
-Mike

IrvJr

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Orlando
The difference in the 2004r's in the Turbo Regals is a modified valve body, servo, governer and a bigger 2nd gear band. If you wanted a good 200 for your car a good start is a hardened stator, good shift kit and a quality servo, Sonnax is a good one and whats in my T Type. You could find a trans out of a GN, and they are out there, just got to look. I can tell you where there are a few if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor