301 Timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

79g-body

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2006
O.K. fellas heres the deal. I checked the timing and with the vacuum taken off of the dist. It reads about 20 deg off. Instead of being 12 deg below TDC is't about 12 deg Above TDC.....

What do you think.....Also someone told me that some cars had two marks on the Balancer. I have not checked yet...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is only one mark on stock balancers....have you adjusted the timing yet and if so how does it run?.......you can also check the timing with a vaccum gage...

79g-body

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 12, 2006
I adjusted the timing last night and what a change. Runs pretty good but at 3/4 to full throttle there is a loud bellowing sound coming from the carb. Like it's really sucking too much air or something. The car doesn't die or anything. But it really doesn't accelerate very well once I hear that noise. I am thinking about checking the timing chain and make sure that it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor