350 engine id

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave1978

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2011
Anyone out there able to id this small block chevy number it's the one in front of the right head under the alt.The list of numbers I have or can find online does not show this one.It is in a truck I may be interested in buying.The number is 1 k02 26 cmp the last digit may be a r it's hard to read from the rust. I can not get any other numbers off of this block because it's a 100 mile round trip and I can't get back up there for awhile. Thanks PS I think it may be a replacement GM GOODRINCH engine.

dave1978

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2011
Sorry I did not realize I didn't post this in the engine section I wasn't paying attention.I guess it may need moved?

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
I thought the id number was in the back of the block on the passenger side of the block. Pretty sure thats where mine is . Hope this helps you should be able to read them pretty good should be embosed on the block

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
CMP would be for a 91 350 L98 out of an f-body.

CMR could be either a 305 or 350 depending on the year.

dave1978

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2011
The pad on the right front of the block in front of the head has helped me determine the engine on other ones but this one is weird ,can't tell the year of the engine just know it's a small block 1985 or older style.Motor is in a 1976 Chevy pickup.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
'80-'85 will have dipstick on passenger side. That might narrow down the year range.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
I thought the codes there on the front were just date/country of origin codes :idea: The only way to correctly identify the block would be to look up the block casting number located on the drivers side rear of the block.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
If the CMP suffix code is accurate, according to the information that I have here says that its a 1991 350 245HP, RPO code L98 with California emissions, from a Camaro.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
RITTER said:
I thought the codes there on the front were just date/country of origin codes :idea: The only way to correctly identify the block would be to look up the block casting number located on the drivers side rear of the block.

The casting number doesn't always tell you everything. A 302, 327, 350 can all use the same casting numbered block. The suffix code is what will tell you the origin and size of the engine. However sometimes they used it more than once, as in the case of the possible CMR we have here. That code was used on 305's and 350's, so if you combine it with the casting number from the back edge of the block, it will tell you for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor