350 has spark and fuel but wont start

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
i did nothing to the car it ran fine the day before i started it up and it ran for about 2 seconds then died i thought it was out of gas i put gas in it then it wouldnt start at all

1984gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
there was gas in the carb

Attachments

• Wheel Trim 78 Grand Prix.jpg
    Wheel Trim 78 Grand Prix.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 218

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How did you check for spark? I just went through a situation where it wouldn't start, spark was weak, but sparking, and so I pulled the distributor and wired it up on my workbench.I checked pickup, coil,all good,spun the shaft and she sparked like a champ. Put it in the car and it was dead. Changed rotor and she ran, and while timing it, she cut off, twice. Something inside,module maybe, is bad, and I finally swapped in a totally different distributor and it works great again. Next rainy day I'll find out what's wrong with the old one. That's the problem with electronic ignition, hard to test and diagnose.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I think bonne has the right ideas..if you have another distributor I'd drop it in and see what happens...if not try another coil

1984gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
i went and tryed starting the car today and it started but ran for like 10 seconds wouldnt run on its own had to mess with the gas and it died so i pulled all the plugs and all of them had gas on them

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Since it did start and there is gas on the plugs then I'd be looking at the coil. But if was popping and backfiring when it was running then it's probably the ignition module.

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
i ran into the module once last summer that would work alittle at idle but not at all above 1500rpm, if youre going to buy one, buy a good one. it seems to me that every time i put a cheap one in, it works for a day and then its junk. dont forget to use the white heatsink goo too. dont use dialetric, it doesnt have a high enough tolerence to heat. good luck, i hate ignition problems. and dont forget about the little condensor( small aluminum can with 1 wire coming off of it) they are cheap and easy insurance when you replace the module. :D

1984gbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
i picked up some new plugs and wires today im gonna put them on tomorrow and go from there my plugs and wires looked like they been through hell and back i will keep everyone posted

blk74nova

Apprentice
Oct 7, 2009
If the new plugs and wires dont help, check and make sure you are getting full 12 volts to the coil. Just to test it run a wire from the hot side of your battery to the bat. side of the coil. Then try starting the car. If it works you will have to pull the wire to shut the car off. I put a few hundred in my Nova trying to figure out why it quit. Turns out the hot wire to the coil had a crack in it and wasnt allowing enough voltage but just pulling a plug and checking it had spark. Its an easy cheap way to check that is sometime overlooked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor