3rd brake light, anyone add one to there car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think adding a 3rd brake light is an excellent idea...especially in a wagon where the taillights are down low. It is also on my to-do list. At one point I thought of adding it to the rear wind deflector..actually cutting out a slot and adding a strip of LED's.
However, adding the light to the rear glass sounds like a better idea. Either sticking it to the top of the glass, or to the interior rear trim. Of course depending on the type of lamp assembly that you decide to use.
I like the Ron Francis units. You can also check out the boneyard for a 3rd brake light from various SUV's or late model cars.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I use them in my wagons. I think it cost $10 from JC Whitney. I mounted it to the rear garnish , you know the metal trim piece at the rear end of the headliner, so it's at the very top of the rear glass. I tapped into the rear lighting harness that passes through the inside of the wheelwell molding. Funny thing was, after installing it, I ended up getting rearended by a dork in a minivan! :roll:

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i like that one that mounts right above the rear glass on the el camino. i forget who has one buy they have a blue 80's elky and its got irock 20" on it... friggin sweet looking elky.

outsider_27

G-Body Guru
Mar 23, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I added one to my Cutlass that was an original out of a newer gbody. Only thing is that I am not sure which wire to connect the power wire to. I thought I had it working until I realized it was flashing with the driver's side turn signal! Can anyone tell me which color wire to hook into on a '79 Cutlass?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Mine came with a "logic curcuit" that somehow knew when just the brakes came on since it wired up to both brake lights. On my 95' Firebird the "high mounted stop lamp" is wired right off the brake pedal switch. The other normal brake lights are wired off the turn-hazards switch in the steering column, which is wired to the brake pedal switch.

bukweet

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2008
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Going to get mine from a GMC/Chevy Safari/Astro van.
It wil either go on the roof (exterior) or hang from the upper headliner molding(interior).
Slim,trim and a dime a dozen at the local u-pull-it.

bukweet

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
i know its a safety thing,

but something about being exempt from the law is just fun :D

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
I have had quite a few close calls with my 79 and I have to think it is because of the low taillights I plan on adding one like off my wifes 99 yukon but to the inside on the headliner trim. they came on all the square bodies suvs like 90-99 suburbans, tahoes, yukons and the like and are hella cheap at the junk yards

100_0631.jpg

yukon3rdbrakelight.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor