4l60e Question (Non G)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Sup guys, so I got this 1994 K1500 sitting in my driveway with what I think is a bad trans. It'll work fine for about 5 minutes when cold then when it heats up it starts slipping REAL bad and wont go anywhere. The motor will rev and hold at 2 grand at the torque converter stall speed, but it wont move it all. I'm thinking something up there must be seized or something is bad. But its puzzling cause it works fine until warmup. Got any ideas? From what my buddy told me he put dexron III in there, wrong fluid? I'm thinking the pump is shot. Thanks in advance guys!

BTW, if its in need of a rebuild can anyone reccomend a good stock based complete kit for this trans? I plan on doing it myself and just want everything to go smoothly. I was thinking the master kit by TCI Auto.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
Dex III is correct. Verify fluid is full. To see if pump is working check level engine off and then engine on. if level does not drop pump shot. if it drops too low need more fluid. also check for any crushed lines restricting flow.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
CWPottenger said:
Dex III is correct. Verify fluid is full. To see if pump is working check level engine off and then engine on. if level does not drop pump shot. if it drops too low need more fluid. also check for any crushed lines restricting flow.

I'm thinking the pump is bad. The fluid level gets a bit lower with it running but not where it should be. The trans was working just fine last night so it strikes me as odd that the pump would just go out like that. I went out there a half hour ago and at first it wouldn't move but I let it run for 5 minutes and then I put it in low gear and it started moving, went to reverse and all it did was rev to 2 grand and hold there, went back to drive and all gears were like neutral again. Park still works though. I'm going to try and pull a cooler line off to see if I have fluid pressure. I'm really hoping this is just something simple cause I sure don't feel like pulling a 4x4 trans in the middle of winter, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor