4L80E with factory floor shifter

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Installed a 4L80E transmission in my 87 GN. I want to retain the factory 4 speed auto floor shifter.

The mounting bracket makes the cable do a tight bend due being mounted more rearward. This all starts due to the shifter shaft being not in the stock location from the original 200.

I'm sure something can be cobbled up here but it's also the linkage to the steering column that is different. The 200 had the shifter shaft in line with the bracket from the opposite side, with the 4L80E shifter shaft is back more.

If you've successfully pulled off this swap with the OEM floor shift. Share some pics, details and ideas.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
While I’m not familiar with the 200 trans or the 4L80E, would a longer cable work or a different type of mount on the shifter shaft of the 4L80E to allow the factory cable to work?

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I might try a longer cable. Long enough to go down around to the passenger side, loop around and forward into the bracket.

Another minor issue it the shift lever is further back. This will make problems trying to connect the linkage that reaches up to my steering column.

Attachments

• 20240310_200540.jpg
    20240310_200540.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 17

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I’m guessing if you’re using the factory floor shift the column linkage must be for the reverse lights and neutral safety switch. Would that be correct?

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Yes, SS. Absolutely correct, it also allows the key out when in Park.

Even though a 4L80E is a popular swap. Few have done it while retaining the original shifter and column linkage.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
That changes my thought process a little. I completely eliminated my column shift when I went to the floor shift. I just leave the shifter in the park position and use the floor shifter for the gears. I moved the reverse lights and neutral safety switch to the floor shifter (which yours should already be). You may be doing the same thing and getting a longer shifter cable.
If you need a bracket made PM me.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor