5 Speed in a 87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyv713

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
I know there are multiple how-to's out there, but I think i just may be too tired to comprehend all of the information. Can someone tell me the easiest and cheepest way to throw a 5 speed behind a built 383 stroker in my Cutlass? Like, what are the parts needed? Also, is there any build logs that i may have missed that are very clear and helpful? Thanks guys!

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There are a number of ways to do this, as have been detailed in a number of threads on this site. The best info that I have found, is in the technical section on MonteCarloSS.com. One way shows how to use a mechanical linkage, and there is another article on how to set up a hydraulic linkage. This is by no means all of the info that is out there, but its a pretty good start. Good luck.

jonnyv713

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
After all the work, is it really worth it? i know its fun as hell to bang through gears but this car is kinda a daily driver and may get old. I am 16 years old and never had a manual to call my own yet and have never got the privilage to drive one every day. We have a 6 speed Vette though and its fun.

Another question, how do 5 speeds compare to having an automatic on the strip? How much would it cost if i found a donor F body with a hydraulic linkage and use everything from that car.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
http://www.garage-scene.com/
There is no 'easiest' end-all way to convert over to a manual. There are several different bellhousings you can use for a 4-speed, but you need to get one that will work with a G-Body. You can either run mechanical linkage or hydraulic cylinders, factory pull-style slave cylinder or hydraulic throwout bearing, modified stock crossmember or pre-built double-hump crossmember, etc. etc. 5-speed will be a little more limited, plus the T-5 isn't an extremely strong trans in stock form. There are also several different variations of the T-5, so you will need to make sure you get the correct one.

Your cheapest route will be to run a 4-speed. You can use a TH350 crossmember and TH350 driveshaft. For a 5-speed you'll have to shorten the driveshaft and modify the crossmember. To run a hydraulic setup you will have to modify the original pedals, modify the F-Body pedals (don't know what's required, I haven't done it), or get a pedal from John Bzdel (not sure how much they are). Mechanical will be cheaper, you may be able to find a used setup, but new aftermarket setups are available. If you have to buy all the parts, and unless you get extremely good deals on everything, you can expect to spend $500 or more on this swap with a 4-speed, more with a 5-speed. ($150-$600 trans, $75-$100+ bellhousing, $30-$100 linkage, clutch fork, flywheel, clutch set, etc. etc. etc. etc.)

If it's a built 383 you'd be wise to go easy on the gas with any traction. If you take the car to the strip with that motor and a T-5 and sticky tires, you're asking for trouble. Your strongest option besides a Muncie, T-56 (6-speed) or TKO trans will be a Super T-10. You can get one with a 3.42:1 1st gear, run highway gears (2.29-2.73 range), have good off-the-line performance, and still turn a reasonable rpm on the expressway.

I have no problem driving the Malibu daily with a 4-speed. My first vehicle was an '85 S10 with a 4-speed. If I keep my '92 Sierra it may get a 5- or 6-speed in the future.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
The wagon on garage scene is mine!

Marc is a friend.

They are fun to drive and no I don't get tired of shifting, it is my daily driver.

If you can drive, a stick is usaully faster at the strip.

One thing ,don't go crazy with the O.D. gear, .54 is too much, rpms drop to 1/2 when I hit 5th.

Sounds good on paper but idle at highway speeds is NOT the ticket.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Easiest- pay someone to do it. Cheapest- you do it. Sorry, couldn't resist. 8)

jonnyv713

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
ya this 383 is going to pretty built. hoping for 400hp to 500hp at the fly wheel. what do you guys have to say about saginaw 4 speed? would that hold up?

tires wise i will be running riken raptors on the street and some slicks on the strip.

rear end is still undecided and gears are going to have to depend on the trans so those are undecided too.

im really diggin the t56 and the super t10. i think the t56 would be far over my budget and i heard somewhere that the saginaw was a cheap good trans too. if i go with a 4sp i still want to be able to cruise at 65 on the highway at reasonable rpms. would that still be possible?

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
jonnyv713 said:
ya this 383 is going to pretty built. hoping for 400hp to 500hp at the fly wheel. what do you guys have to say about saginaw 4 speed? would that hold up?
25 years ago I was breaking Saginaws with a 305. Can't see one living long behind a 383.

jonnyv713 said:
if i go with a 4sp i still want to be able to cruise at 65 on the highway at reasonable rpms. would that still be possible?
You're correct about ratio selection coming into play when picking a trans. Short gears without overdrive will make for a tiring ride. You'll have to keep your gears (numerically) at or below 3.08:1 without overdrive.

A T56 is a fine piece but carbed cars may never be able to use 6th without bogging. With 3.73's in back the motor was turning only 2000 RPM at 80 MPH! Also, it's difficult to get your speedo hooked up (unless using the aftermarket version) and non-stock flywheels are big dollars. There's way over $2K into my T56 swap and that's using a stock LT1 flywheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor