78-83 regal factory gauge set up ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackknight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Hi,

I am in the process of modifying my factory gauge set u in my 80 regal. I have bought a 78 sport coupe set up that has a turbo gauge and volt meter. I would like to swap the turbo out for a water temp. But I have found these hard to find. Another thing I am trying to find is someone that can convert my clock hole into a factory looking tach. I don't imagine it would be cheap but I want a factory appearance and not a hole cut to fit a sun tach behind the glass. If anybody has some insight it would be greatly appreciated. My only other option is to upgrade to a newer bezel and get a dakota digital analog set up to keep it looking factory.

Cody

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Hi there Cody. Us 78-83 regal guys don't have too many options when it comes to gauges. I have an '80 myself, but it has the gauge package in it-volt, temp,and clock. Clock doesn't work, so I was trying to figure out a way to make an oil pressure gauge to fit where the clock does with close to factory look as possible. I would even pay someone to make me an oil gauge that looks factory. Haven't looked into that yet tho. I think the regal is the only gbody that never came with an oil psi gauge as an option or a tach for that matter. I asked Dakota Digital if they had considered making a set of gauges for the 78-83 regals and they said no cos they didn't think the demand would be there. They suggested using their 84-87 gauges, but I didn't like that idea, so i'm keeping my factory gauges and save the money for something else for my car. If I end up figuring something out with a factory looking oil gauge I will post it on the forum. Good luck with your car. :mrgreen:

Blackknight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 11, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I had some luck with new vintage USA. It's not cheap but the website looks like they know what they are doing. Mark was quick to respond(on a Sunday to boot). Once I get a little closer to completion I am definately going to be contacting to modify my cluster. They can do anything you want. I am thinking getting a double swing in one pocket to add a oil pressure gauge.

Cody

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
Awesome!!! I just checked out their website. Looks like they can make anything a person would need. I was willing to pay a pretty penny to have someone make me a factory looking oil psi gauge. Looks like it will become reality when I get to that point.

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
I custom built a "factory" Century using the sport coupe gauge cluster. The olds Cutlass rally cluster uses a tach that can be switched from the back of the gauge to use with either a v6 or v8. I used this tach behind the blank clock face and had the blank face made to look like a tach face. The needle came from the Olds tac. Looked pretty factory to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor