BUILD THREAD '78 Cutlass Supreme Lichen Edition

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That appears to be the laminate clear layer discoloring. Could be wrong, but it looks like it to me. It's sandwiched in-between the glass. If it is, it won't buff out. It's a tattoo. Most of the time it's accompanied by blistering and separation of the layers which is easy to spot, but in this case, it just hazed.

If the inspection station passes it, then fine. You can drive it while you fix it up. It's not in a terrible spot, but I know for me it would bug the pee out of me if I went through all that work on the car and leave that. I'd probably put a good-quality, new windshield in it right before new paint. But that's just me.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I'm in the middle of replacing all the vacuum lines, sparkplug wires, easy stuff, etc.. I replaced the horns; Chinese ones sounded good... and then the relay died (no hear click). Does anybody know where the horn relay is in 78 Cutlass?

Edit: I took the virgin dash apart just to learn that I cannot access the relay from there. I need to disconnect some ducts and reach under/behind and blind to access the relay.

Attachments

• horn_relay_medium__9efa58ecb1145dd9b91d0856a8d19207146c2622.jpg
    horn_relay_medium__9efa58ecb1145dd9b91d0856a8d19207146c2622.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
On tonight's installment of 'If you squint, it's mint...' I reused 46-year-old piping on this successfully refurbished sun visor. It's headliner fabric with 3M adhesive; piping hand-stitched with bleeding rough fingers that pull and ruin the fabric with each touch.
20240128_192905.jpg
20240128_192919.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Hey man, those turned out pretty nice! Good call on re-using the piping, it doesn't look right without it. I was actually wondering if I could pull off the same feat since my boards are good and this gives me hope- if I can make 'em look that good I'd be happy.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I can't figure how to release this landau trim piece. Having success deleting rivets and old polyurethane glue on rear windshield. Please help me figure out how to remove the trim piece my darling is pointing to.

Edit Feb 01; popped trim off clips with upholstery pry bar. Something something breaking eggs and omelettes. Trim in good shape; I'll probably sell it off sooner or later.

Guess I have to make or look for a used cover-plate for the plastic piece on the 'B' pillar. I assume thereis a coverplate on cutlass without vinyl top.

20240201_110752.jpg
20240201_110927.jpg
20240201_112350.jpg

20240131_162950.jpg
20240131_162957.jpg
20240131_163013.jpg

Last edited:

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I don't know the answer to your question but I have a question for you: Are you going back to vinyl after repairs or deleting altogether?

I ask because I've read that the rear 1/4 windows are slightly different, the seals actually. Apparently they're a bit thicker to hide a gap that would be there without the vinyl top. Without replacing the windows you can just use butyl tape, or "dum dum".

The back window trim is also reported to be different. I guess the normal glass uses clips on studs that we don't have, so you'll have to add studs/ screws to attach the trim or just glue it on. I have no idea how the previous owners did the vinyl top removal on mine aside from "incorrectly".

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I don't know the answer to your question but I have a question for you: Are you going back to vinyl after repairs or deleting altogether?

I ask because I've read that the rear 1/4 windows are slightly different, the seals actually. Apparently they're a bit thicker to hide a gap that would be there without the vinyl top. Without replacing the windows you can just use butyl tape, or "dum dum".

The back window trim is also reported to be different. I guess the normal glass uses clips on studs that we don't have, so you'll have to add studs/ screws to attach the trim or just glue it on. I have no idea how the previous owners did the vinyl top removal on mine aside from "incorrectly".
Not sure about the 1/4 windows - I'm confident I'll make it work - cross that bridge later. I bought the rear window trim from gbody member O. D. Showtime out in Saskatchewan. I got windshield trim clips, umbrella clips. I need a good barrel sanding tool. I got bondo. I need a friend to weld up the rivet holes. To be honest, I may have the body shop put the rear windshield in for me.

I'm 46. Since I was a kid, I NEVER understood the landau top concept. I'VE ALWAYS HATED IT. I wondered as a kid, were they trying to make a buick look like a ragtop convertible with the full landau top? WTF is the look here? I hate vinyl tops. HATE THEM!!! I'll live with some imperfections so long as that pleather is off my car.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    594 KB · Views: 22
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    494.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    463.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor