BUILD THREAD '78 Cutlass Supreme Lichen Edition

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Seems like 78s are dropping from trees these days.
Agreed. I feel like I'm seeing posts about them all over the place, and I like that. The only sad part is that it's probably due to people passing away.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I want to lay some one inch wide ribbons of seam sealer on floor. The old stuff from under the carpet is coming up rotten... Seems to be tar-based. Rustolium first or seam sealer first? What product, applicator, surface prep suggestions? Looks like I should get it sealed and painted straight away.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Agreed. I feel like I'm seeing posts about them all over the place, and I like that. The only sad part is that it's probably due to people passing away.
The owner of my new project died in 2015; the sale was complex. I see the car from the google street view as early as 09/2008. Looks like the tarp rotted off it in 2011. I'm such a stalker.

My theory on the '78s is two parts:

1) random numbers are like that, sometimes you get a run
2) we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for what is left; anybody would have passed on this car up until now. I'm so thrilled for small things like intact floors and seats that clean up, when as recently as 2020 I paid less for my beautiful Monte.

Yeah, I'll admit people are passing too. Almost bought a very clean, but high mile '78 GP from a 90 year old in good health before I committed to this Olds. Turns out that while I love the rear lights of the '78 GP, I didn't like the bumper fillers being on top of the bumper; didn't look clean.

I'm a bit cookoo; wanted a car from my birth year. Turns out I am all of about 30 days older than the door sticker on this car.

202107_OC.PNG
200809_OC.PNG
2011_OC.PNG

Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Attached is an article on the sealer question.

I never got this deep on body and paint, but previous friend that did this type work did. Sometimes the discussion was to use it (yes or no), I left the decision up to him.

Basically you need either the ELPO (Electro Static Primer) or the fresh or repaired area with spray on Primer and then with Primer Sealer.

After everything is cured..., you can apply the paint coat(s).

Edit: For clarity... After the ELPO or Primer Sealer is cured, you can apply the seam sealer, and then after it has proper time to setup or cure is when you can apply the finish paint, clear coat, etc...

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Sadly on the folks that passed away, I got a couple of cars that way. My 86 was owned by a woman that passed away and her son just could not sell it, so it sat under a tree for about 12 years.

Ironically she had just done a tuneup, oil change and fresh tires according to her son. She picked the car up from the shop and drove home. That night she passed away in her sleep.

I had several "friends" that didn't appreciate that and wanted me to part it out. The one main reason I elected to restore it was for respect of the previous owner. Other than her son driving for a bit and title in his name, it's essentially a one owner car.

My 78 Delta 88 was same story. The owner passed away and it sat 7 years in the back yard. When his widow was moving, she decided to sell.

My 79 Trans Am was similar, sat in a local woman's yard for years and unable to find title. I ended up selling it to another that was going to do full resto.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Attached is an article on the sealer question.

I never got this deep on body and paint, but previous friend that did this type work did. Sometimes the discussion was to use it (yes or no), I left the decision up to him.

Basically you need either the ELPO (Electro Static Primer) or the fresh or repaired area with spray on Primer and then with Primer Sealer.

After everything is cured..., you can apply the paint coat(s).

Thanks for this tip. I've been reading people dueling methods on the site. I came across that Lord Fusor sealer mentioned in the motor trend article. I didn't have appreciation for how much thought is going to have to go into the choice of products. Going to try to get it at least primed before the cold weather comes.

Saving for later: https://www.parker.com/content/dam/...g---Fusor-Repair-Adhesives-Catalog_PC3000.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
One hole found. It's getting epoxy putty; it's about 0.223 caliber.
20231101_153440.jpg

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Body shop friend says:

"SEM rust shield. It's all you need. Been using it for over 10years."
Screenshot_20231101_212909_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Poisoned a carpenter ant nest under that heavy insulation that goes under the pedals, fuse box, over the tunnel under the dash. That is the last piece of OEM insulation in the car, so I guess I'll have to break out the box cutter and remove it if I ever see another fat black ant. They're falling out into the footwell like burn victims.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor