78 cutlass W-31 build

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
What's the story on the old Chevy frame in the background?

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Ok so tonight Lauren and I learned things. First is these motors time at 6 and 12 on #1 12 and 12 is actually #6 and my Cloys timing set is marked wrong we correctly installed the rollmaster and landed the 106 center line first shot it's maybe a degree off. So with that we decided to keep checking things like valve clearance. LoL didn't get that far before we put the head on and found the next problem. 0 lash #1 and go for 1/2 turn and mark says wait ...that don't feel right. So he backs it off and sets up a dial indicator on the valve spring. Try agine and just passed 1/4 turn the valve started opening. Low and behold all 16 lifters are sticking. Well all hope not lost mark took apart 1 lifter and cleaned it and now it works. Next weekend we will be numbering lifters disassembling them and Sonic cleaning them. We discussed buying new but he's afraid of a quality issue with new flat tappet stuff. We had clay in #1 but never even rotated the motor. So it's still there and the heads are back off and when he has free time again he will let me know and we will get back at it.

Reactions: 9 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Valves held open will certainly make it a turd. Would be great if that was your problem all along. I watched a video on the Youtube a while back and a big dollar LS wasn't performing on the dyno. Turned out the pushrods were too long. Even the pros struggle sometimes.

Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Valves held open will certainly make it a turd. Would be great if that was your problem all along. I watched a video on the Youtube a while back and a big dollar LS wasn't performing on the dyno. Turned out the pushrods were too long. Even the pros struggle sometimes.
One of the things mark wants to do tomorrow is measure pushrod length again because well I did it last time and never had before.

Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I just laugh anymore. If everything I got screwed on got me mad I'd need bail money so I just laugh not funny ha ha more like funny farm I've gone insane hehehe. But I digress. Went back to marks tonight and disassembled the rest of the motor all the while mark checking everything out even things I wouldn't look for. So that fresh cut crank needs to be polished already because 3 and 4 rods need to be faced but that's not to bad because all 8 need to be resized. The cylinders will probably clean up 6 over but pistons come 30 and 60 so really everything needs to get machined from ground 0. I have some thinking to do. I just don't think it's worth it. It's only going to be a basically stock olds 350 no matter what I do so is it really worth it? I put in a call to my cousin to check in the bus for me. I'm going up there in a week from now and if there's still a 403 up there I'm grabbing it. I've already discussed it with Mark and we both feel a clean start with an engine that's not molested or machined incorrectly is probably the way to go. We briefly discussed pulling it apart for a rering bearings and seals mild camshaft I already have and possibly possibly drilling some holes in the #6 heads to use them with the performer intake. But we shall see. First I need to hear back from my cousin then I know what parts I have to order.

Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Sorry to hear this, yeah this is frustrating, been there. Hopefully my 358 will be done tomorrow, of course I have to assemble it. Here is a build Cutlassefi just did. I was going to throw my thrice used Performer cam, already degreed it and can use the easy non adjustable valve train and get the SEFi finished. Going to get the proper valve springs, new valve seals and polish the chambers on my 2.07"/1.56" #6 iron heads. I have the same Mahle pistons, same overbore, except better Molnar rods and a 330 internally balanced crank,$$$. My cam is only 218/218 but my compression will be the same and my heads are very comparable except the filled crossovers. If I end up with 350 HP and 400+ ft/lbs vs this builds 375 HP and 413+ ft/lbs, I will be more than happy.

Reactions: 2 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Another weekend over and I still don't know what motor is going in this car. I'm going to Pennsylvania Next weekend anyway so I'll look myself for something to work with. I do still have a DX in my shed but I don't know where to start with that. Instead this weekend I devoted some attention to the daily diesel and the inclosed trailer. I'm hoping I can get the truck roadworthy enough to take it to PA so I can bring back an engine.

Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
A lot has happened since my last post not just with this car but all my cars. Unfortunately I can only post about this one.
I ended up moving to plan Z or maybe plan T/A? Could just be plan 6.6
If you're a true car guy you already get it and if not then
44022.jpeg

At a purchase price $250 I didn't have high hopes all the freeze plugs were rotted threw 1 had a rubber plug in it the intake was long gone and it came with a gold 2bbl intake and carb. Of course it also came with a story... Something to the effect of the guy he got it from had it in the back of his motorcycle shop in Jackson NJ and it was from a wrecked ta supposedly removed in the 80s and supposedly the guy I got it from had it like 15 years. I figured it probably had a knock they grabbed a 2bbl 350 to replace it in it fire chicken and Stoll the intake and carb to do it. Thankfully I was wrong it's a stick crank 403 we checked the bores woit a gauge and there perfect! We pulled the pistons and they look new compared to my 350 junk the crank is beautiful to and it's all standard the cam bearings look like crap but no big deal I'm that deep already.
So the new to me 403 is at Ericson machine and performance mark is a friend of mine and he thinks it's about time I had some sh*t that runs lol direct quote so the formula for the build is 77 403 stock rotating assembly with #6 350 64cc heads and performer intake all ported at Erickson machine and performance because for friends he will build more than jet skis and I'm helping him with his 80 Malibu LS swapped 10.30 car soon to be drag and drive car. I haven't gotten to far into it yet because we'll life gets in the way even if I'm not working on that I'm doing a little at a time on other things the square body the inclosed trailer and the 87 cutlass have kinda become one and are all here at the house now.
45369.jpeg
I'm trying to set up the truck and trailer like a shop. Slowly it will get there. There will eventually be videos on the Ericson machine and performance U tube channel for the engine build so those will be cool to post here. We also plan on making a main gertel and possibly selling them if anyone is interested.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I forgot to mention Lauren has been right by my side and likes going to the machine shop she also likes riding in the Malibu

Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor