78 frame same as 86?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
found this on that dere' craigslist for the resurrection of the grand prix so i was wondrin' if the frame for this ere' 78 will work on that dere' 86? yeah i am so got'dang bored right now so imma just keep talkin' like this thats so got'dang funny i damn near pissed maself lol jus' kiddin wit'chya anyways heres that dere ad'vatiseameant:

http://monroemi.craigslist.org/pts/2640379731.html

i done gone used ma good gramma skills right deya, GIT'R DONE!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Yes frame will work as long as it not from a Elcomino or wagon.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
chevy2480 said:
Yes frame will work as long as it not from a Elcomino or wagon.

Alright well thank'ya sir! Yeah were gonna do this resurrection, one in 1200 yeah its worth fixing.

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
you may want to wait a minute on that frame, the 78-80 monte carlo did not have the bumper shock absorbers that the 81-88's did, which would make the front and rear frame horns longer. so i dont know for sure, ive heard of some guys interchanging the frames but dont know how they addressed the frame horns being different lengths??

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
If the front frame horns are the wrong length, you can always section them down to the proper size.
If you check out Mike P's El Camino build thread, you'll see how he lengthened his... same concept if you need them shorter.

If you don't have access to the equipment (welder, etc...), the poor man's solution would be to drain the bumper shock and compress it to the proper length.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor