79 Cutlass Calais Build Thread(Formerly an intro)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE
Re: A quick introduction! My new(to me) 79 Cutlass.

307 Regal said:
Very clean Cutlass. I also dig the Fiero Formula, or rather, the Fiero II S (If you get that reference).

That.. I do not get. Lol. Thanks though. The Fiero is a whole 'nother type of beast. It's going to be weird stepping back into it some time this week and not having to slow down for corners.

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006

N3M3S1S said:
Here's my quick to do for Friday:

- Take out the gauge cluster, replace all the bulbs(there's only one working right now).
- Fix the tach, it's very jumpy. I'm assuming the jumper on the back of it is loose.
- Figure out why the Fuel gauge reads full all the time.
- Figure out why the voltage, temperature & oil pressure gauges don't work.

Any hints are appreciated!
Once cluster is removed inspect the board for any breaks & clean; can use a stiff eraser but best to use an emery cloth or very fine sandpaper or scotch bright. The thing to due is use a delicate hand, you don't want to treat it like a piece of oak or had wood sanding the snot out of it.

You have the tach down so won't discuss except check the connection on the distributor as well.

Fuel gauge could be loose ground at the tank; GMs usually read full when sender / ground is bad

The volt, temp & oil pressure (along with fuel) will always read off when connection(s) is bad; again, this could be due to the circuit traces or grounding issue. They are pretty much in-series so if one is not making good contact, they all will read off. Not advised but sometimes a "love tap" pon top of the dash will get them to read correct.

Very clean exterior & interior, I actually prefer the roll-up windows to power on these cars. Even the aftermarket shifter handle looks o.k., almost looks to be from a later model GM.

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE

jae said:
Once cluster is removed inspect the board for any breaks & clean; can use a stiff eraser but best to use an emery cloth or very fine sandpaper or scotch bright. The thing to due is use a delicate hand, you don't want to treat it like a piece of oak or had wood sanding the snot out of it.

You have the tach down so won't discuss except check the connection on the distributor as well.

Fuel gauge could be loose ground at the tank; GMs usually read full when sender / ground is bad

The volt, temp & oil pressure (along with fuel) will always read off when connection(s) is bad; again, this could be due to the circuit traces or grounding issue. They are pretty much in-series so if one is not making good contact, they all will read off. Not advised but sometimes a "love tap" pon top of the dash will get them to read correct.

Very clean exterior & interior, I actually prefer the roll-up windows to power on these cars. Even the aftermarket shifter handle looks o.k., almost looks to be from a later model GM.

Thank you, on all accounts. This car marks only the fourth cad I've owned, all 2 doors, all no power options, all older than 1990, yet this is the oldest and in the best shape, lol. I also prefer the crank windows, it's old school. I guess I really need to just dig into the dash tomorrow and see what I can figure out.

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE

1979Calais said:
Welcome. Nice Car, wish mine looked that good.

Thanks! It's the nicest car I've owned to date already, lol.

Updates for this weekend include we fixed the tach, it reads nice and accurate now, speedo is more accurate somehow, we believe we've fixed the fuel gauge(I had just filled it up at a gas station around the corner from my dad's before messing with the ground), appear to have fixed the temperature gauge, and replaced dash lights. The problem with the dash lights is they're still super dim. I'm looking at LED alternatives right now. Within the next week or so I'll take out the head liner and hand it off to a friend who does interior work to fix that, and pretty much all will be well with the big ol' girl. Oh, except the front speakers which have stopped working(previous owner said they stopped after the 350 engine swap) and I have no idea where to start there, haha.

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE

My first casualty!

523977_10151543274787138_136666999_n.jpg

PCV valve. Blew right out. Wooo. lol

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE

Two casualties. The clutch fan also took a dump. We also did some engine compartment cleaning because there were quite a few ghetto riggings. The AC lines were flopping down into the fan.. Derp. Fixed a few grounds. Also determined my 350 is from a 1979 Chevy C10.

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE

More work on the ol' gal. Had a wheel cylinder pop on my way to work one day so that was of immediate attention. Discovered at the same time while replacing the other side that the drum back plate was rotted so the wheel cylinder just kinda wobbled around in there. Ordered a new plate, went through the pain in the *ss of pulling the axle and blah blah. Also discovered it was dangerously low on gear oil and, while the P/O said I had aftermarket gears, they are in fact GM 373's. Kinda nice to know. So new shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware in the rear and the brakes are happy. About a month before that we replaced the radiator with a nice new aluminum unit and some hoses, as well as the thermostat. All and all it's coming along nicely as I have the extra cash to work on'er. New tires are in the future sooner than later though. The Eagle GT II's are starting to dryrot sadly. Edit: Also, replaced the dash lights with LEDs I got for cheap on Fleabay. Amazing so far.

The Fiero has also had a bit of work lately - new tie rods, bushings, balljoints, etc in the front end. She needs tires as well, and an alignment. The worst part is my girlfriend and I just moved into a townhouse, so needless to say cash is a little strapped at the moment. @.@ Oh, old cars. I love you but hate the expense. ..Kinda like women, eh?

N3M3S1S

Apprentice
Mar 24, 2013
Wilmington, DE

Very long overdo some updates about the ol' gal. Since my last post I went through ANOTHER cluch fan. I can only assume the RPMs run too high on the highway for a regular one to keep up. I'm looking into going electric because it's getting annoying, I don't need it karate chopping another radiator if say, my girl is driving. Again. I'm considering several avenues as far as the transmission is concerned, I'm thinking of going 700r4. But in the short term I'm looking for some 15 inch rallys to put on the rear for a nice staggered look with taller tires to bring it down at least a little bit. Also went through the gauge cluster completely and found a few things were loose and cleaned it ALL up so I'm happy to report every gauge works now. Kinda sucks because now I know just how quickly the gas gauge goes down.. Lol. Fiero took a crap on me about a week ago so this has been put back into daily driving status for the moment. Been snowy and stupid outside too so I haven't even looked at that thing, just gave it the finger once or twice a day from the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor