79 Salon weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
What should I expect my 79 Cutlass 2 door Salon to weigh? I have her stripped down for Drag Racing. No interior, rug, or door panels, 2 plastic race seats. No heater, AC, radio, door beams. Glass cowl hood, 455 w/ aluminum heads & intake, TH400, 8.5 rear, 6 point roll bar. It has aluminum bumper beams with fiberglass front bumper shell. aluminum wheels. Regi says 3250#. I haven't been able to get it on a scale. No scale at ATCO. Thanks.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
Well I finally went to scrap metal yard and they weighed my lightened 1979 Cutlass Salon for me. The car weighed 3,220# without driver and the following parts REMOVED;
No heater or controls, No AC, no radio, no door beams, no rug or padding, no door or side panels, no spare tire, no front bumper chrome face, completely de-chromed - no stainless trim or wheel moldings.

The car HAS a 6 point mild steel roll bar, TH400, 8.5 rear, Edelbrock tubular rear trailing arms, 2" Kooks headers into 3" Pypes SS exhaust with tailpipes, 455 BB Olds with aluminum heads and intake, 4" fiberglass cowl hood, 2 Jaz plastic race seats, aluminum trunk firewall, sumped orig gas tank, 4 Street Lite wheels and drag radials, aluminum bumper beams, a Be-Cool aluminum radiator w/dual electric fans.

I thought it would be lighter, but it is still 500# lighter than my 1970 442 A Body. I plan to re-install the rug, door & side panels. I will remove the rear chrome bumper face and install fiberglass bumper faces F&R. I'm also planning to install aluminum bumper supports. I assume the weight will still be under 3,300# when I'm done.

I hope this gives you folks some idea of what to expect when lightening your g-body.

yorkman1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 3, 2009
Sorry, I didn't save any of the trim. I do have an NOS or rechromed front bumper upper half, and the metal filler that goes under the grill. I have fiberglass bumpers over the aluminum bumper braces on it now.

rIbBaD

Greasemonkey
Apr 10, 2010
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I took my Salon to the Scrap Metal Yard today, it weighed 2250 with absolutely no interior, and no engine/gas tank, if you know the weight of your engine, add those together for a rough estimate. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor