8.5 Corporate 10 bolt from 76 regal to our G cars???

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I have been searching around and reading about this swap. Does anyone know if the axle width is similar??

I guess I need some South Side Machine adapters? Why?

Thanks for the help guys!

If I had both cars here, I'd probably measure everything first. I'm in the process of hunting down another 78-88 G car (for as close to nothing as possible) to transplant my good drivetrain (or parts, thereof) to.

My Cutlass is at my sister's in OH so I can't measure it now...

Thanks guys!!

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
Well the only real perfect bolt up is the Grand National. Way too expensive and hard to find.

Now the A body (chevelle. elky) will fit but it's approx. one inch longer on each side. And get the 10 bolt not the twelve. You need the adjustable upper control arms to make sure the driveshaft and rear end line up right.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I don't really understand the upper control arm thing. Adjustable?

I was cruising Summit and Jeg's last night but I couldn't find them.

Anyone know where to get them?

I have a good 10 bolt from a 76 A body.

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
ryanwitski said:
Well the only real perfect bolt up is the Grand National. Way too expensive and hard to find.
The 8.5 rear end came in the Grand National with a 3.42:1 gear.
It was in the 1984 Hurst/Olds(note-the '83 H/O had the 7.5),and the 1985-87 442s.The Olds came with a 3.73:1 gear.
They are out there.Surf GN and Olds forums.Expect to pay anywhere around $800-$1000.As well,posi was optional.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
That's too much for my budget on these cars. I have a 10 bolt already from my 76 Regal; I just want to know how to properly make it fit.

I will tear it apart, measure everything, and narrow it to fit. I am just trying to get any necessary pieces before I pull my Cutlass or next G-body axle. I don't want the car sitting with no axle in it for a long time.

CutMonRegMan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 5, 2007
The 8.5 rear end came in the Grand National with a 3.42:1 gear.
It was in the 1984 Hurst/Olds(note-the '83 H/O had the 7.5),and the 1985-87 442s.The Olds came with a 3.73:1 gear.
quote]
What about the 84-87monte carlo ss? does it have a 8.5 3:73:1 also I see alot more of those around may be easier to find than the 442 or GN

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
CutMonRegMan said:
What about the 84-87monte carlo ss? does it have a 8.5 3:73:1 also I see alot more of those around may be easier to find than the 442 or GN
The Monte Carlo SSs all had the 7.5 rear.Why?you'd have to ask GM.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The A-body axles are NOT a direct fit. Not only is the width different, but the angle of the control arm attachment is different. If you try to install one of these with stock control arms the suspension will bind. The Southside arms have ball joints in them to avoid the binding. The 73-77 axles are even wider than the 68-72 axles. And both 10 and 12 bolt axles were available in A-body cars. Be aware that restorers have sent prices of these units past the moon. It's cheaper to get a brand new G-body specific 9" axle than a rebuilt A-body 12 bolt.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I'll be looking for those south side control arms. I can narrow the axle myself.

Thanks for the info!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
I can narrow the axle myself

i guessing that you can weld. :) one thing you can do is get a non g-body 8.5 rear (they're dirt cheap) and weld on the brackets and spring perches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor