'80 Lemans Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
The parts car is cut up and gone...The car was really banged up and rusty so not a whole lot else to keep from it.

Attachments

• 78 parts car 1.jpeg
    78 parts car 1.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1,127
  • 78 parts car 2.jpeg
    78 parts car 2.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,138
  • 78 parts car roof cut.jpeg
    78 parts car roof cut.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,147

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Frame is notched, blasted and painted.

I also had the TNT braces that support the control arm mounting locations welded in.

Attachments

• Painted-Frame-ft-sm.jpg
    Painted-Frame-ft-sm.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • Painted-notch-right-sm.jpg
    Painted-notch-right-sm.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,060
  • Painted-brace-lower-sm.jpg
    Painted-brace-lower-sm.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1,068

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
This is the brace for the upper control arm mount.

The 12 bolt housing has also been shortened and new G body brackets welded on. Also had new housing ends welded on to elimate the c-clip axle retainers. It's slow progress, but at least it's progress...

Attachments

• Painted-brace-upper-sm.jpg
    Painted-brace-upper-sm.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,056
  • Painted-Rear-sm.jpg
    Painted-Rear-sm.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,061
  • Painted-rear-2-sm.jpg
    Painted-rear-2-sm.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,055

'81 Grand Prix LJ

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2011
Repentigny, Qc, Canada
G-Body_Vet said:
It's good to see the 78-80 Pontiac g-bodies getting some attention for once! .

If only we had PARTS for them!!!! I'm trying to do almost the same on my '81 GP and i'm starting to consider to sell it!!! 5 years of running around in circle, i've never found anything but tiny bits here and there.... So sad, he would be KILLER once restored!!!!!

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
When I bought this car I also never imagined everything that I needed to find would be so tough to locate. I found out in a hurry that it was going to take a lot of time and patience to get the car the way that I want it. I'm still working away at it though. Most recently I was working on control arm bushings. The lowers didn't give me too much trouble. Not the case with the uppers. After a few hours of pounding, cutting, etc, I broke down and took advantage of the UMI Christmas sale...

I had ordered these to install the 12 bolt during UMI's Thanksgiving sale. Now I have to decide whether or not to upgrade the brakes...

Attachments

• Front-Arms-sm.jpg
    Front-Arms-sm.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 984
  • Rear-Arms-sm.jpg
    Rear-Arms-sm.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 990

trocutlass63

Greasemonkey
Aug 26, 2011
Metro Detroit
The car looks like it's coming along nicely. Great to see an old Pontiac getting some love, you just don't ever see them around.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Man, that's a lot of work. Looks great! I was wondering, your car has a pointed nose, as does Adam6640's GrandAm. I have the 81' LeMans nose on my wagon, just like Adam's other pic, it's not pointed, it's almost flat. I wonder is the steel impact bar that's behind the urethane cover pointed also, or straight? The reason I ask is that Supermav's GrandAm is being parted out and I thought I would swap the GA urethane nose onto my wagon. But my impact bar is flat, and it would be a b*tch to ship the nose w/bar. Have any of you seen the impact bar without the cover?
file.php
file.php

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
G-Body_Vet said:
Looking good! I wish I had your space and budget!
I do have space to work in. Now the budget part is a different story. The control arms blew my budget for a while. I haven't done anything more to the car since I took those pictures. I have to get the guts for the 12 bolt and springs for the front and rear before I can start bolting anything together...

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
tdvick said:
G-Body_Vet said:
Looking good! I wish I had your space and budget!
I do have space to work in. Now the budget part is a different story. The control arms blew my budget for a while. I haven't done anything more to the car since I took those pictures. I have to get the guts for the 12 bolt and springs for the front and rear before I can start bolting anything together...

I hear ya! I've been on standby myself. In the past, most of my project cars were usually drivers as well and that limited the work to one thing at a time. Having the entire car torn apart changes the game.

Since the engine is the biggest expense I'm trying to wrap that up first. I've been eyeballing a used 8.5" that I'd like to get as well. Looks like my tax return is already spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor