82 Regal 3.8L Turbo makeover

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Re: 82 Regal 3.8L Turbo Build

Whenever someone put that 400ci SBC in there they probably also transplanted a transmission from a different vehicle ... there is a small plastic gear in the transmission that needs to be matched up with the rear gear ratio. Find your rear gear ratio and you will be able to figure out which color speedo gear you need.

(probably the easiest way to find the rear gear ratio would be ... raise the rear of the car, lay under the car, mark the inside of a tire and mark a spot on the driveshaft ... turn the driveshaft slowly and count how many rotations it takes to make 1 complete rotation of the tire)

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada

Awesome! Thanks!....I was just reading an article after doing a search for "adjusting speedometer"..... but I am not a technical guy and it didn't make much sense!....Your explaination was great! I will lift and spin tonight and get back with revolutions. Thanks again. :D

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada

No time to check the gear ratio last night, but in about 2hrs I should have my new rims and tires on!! I got the call from the tire shop that they are in and ready to put on. I went with black rims with spoked triangles instead of the round holes. They are 8"x15" rims. On the back I went with 275/60/15's and on the front I went with 255/60/15's (Cooper Cobras). I wanted a wide stance look but I am worried I didn't get wide enough rims. I wanted the NASCAR stance if that makes any sense :roll: I will post pics tomorrow of how it looks. I am hoping I have enough room to drop the car a few inches as well.

1983regal

Master Mechanic
May 2, 2011
St. Louis MO.

viperedvette said:
No time to check the gear ratio last night, but in about 2hrs I should have my new rims and tires on!! I got the call from the tire shop that they are in and ready to put on. I went with black rims with spoked triangles instead of the round holes. They are 8"x15" rims. On the back I went with 275/60/15's and on the front I went with 255/60/15's (Cooper Cobras). I wanted a wide stance look but I am worried I didn't get wide enough rims. I wanted the NASCAR stance if that makes any sense :roll: I will post pics tomorrow of how it looks. I am hoping I have enough room to drop the car a few inches as well.

Depends on the car it seems but you may or may not have rubbing in the back with a 275 tire on it. May be ok at stock ride height, but once you lower it they usually rub either the frame or hit the wheel well lip depending on the backspace of the wheels.

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada

Yup, you were right! I ended up going 255's all around. Here is a camera phone shot. i forgot my camera at home that has better pics. They fit really nice all around and I LOVE the look! :D I wanted that 'old skool' look, and I think I achieved it........but now that I have the nice rims and tires on, the paint condition is starting to bug me :roll: . I want to work on the trim pieces first and see how far I get. My speedo is that much more acurate it seems with these tires on also. Ok here's the pic I took thismorning at work.

normal_new_rubber_regal.JPG

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada

Ok, this is a reeeaaal bad windows paint rendition of how I hope to have the car looking by end of tomorrow :wink: .......

normal_new_rubber_regal_blackout.JPG

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada

Dropped the kids off at Dance and guitar lessons and went to town on the trim! :D Here is how it's looking so far, what do you guys think?..... I still want to erase the pinstripping and take off the side molding. I have a speed hole on the bottom of the driver door to fix and then I can repaint it.

normal_blackout1.JPG

normal_blackout.JPG

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada

Painted the front and rear bumpers lastnight.....

normal_regal_white.JPG

normal_regal_white1.JPG

normal_regal_white2.JPG

.......I am missing my horn button.....what does it look like? Does it have the "T" on it?

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH

Looking better & better. Yea your getting that Nascar look to work. I would remove the emblem from the front header and tint the windows. I hope you put the right kind of primer on the bumpers and that paint that sort of forms a gel otherwise its going chip like a b*tch. I have been keeping a black factory gel coat Grand National bumper for somebody just for that reason.

viperedvette

Apprentice
May 9, 2012
Saskatchewan, Canada

....thanks! :D .....both are great ideas! as a matter of fact my 8yr old son pointed out that I should lose the header emblem too! :lol: ..... It's starting to turn heads though; .....just lastnight as I was coming out of a restaraunt, there were a group of three older guys standing around the car looking it over. they apologized when I came up to them, and said they were just admiring the car as they hadn't seen any 3.8 Regals around. I agreed and said as far as I know this is the only one I have seen. I am sure there are more but maybe they don't drive them? :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor