85 monte street/strip setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
To start here's what I have: mildly modded 305, 200 trans, peg leg 3.73 rear, 225/60/15 fronts (might change they bulge more than I'd like), 295/50/15 rears. The rears have about 1/4" clearance from the frame & don't stick out but do run under the lip. I'm weighing my options as far as posi but will have it eventually.

I'd like to have a little more aggressive stance and am wondering what is the best way to go. Also how far? Not worried about the front but don't want the rears to rub. I won't be going to the track but I do want it to dig in when I floor it. Budget wise looking in the range of Lakewood for shocks. Probably going to cut the springs and put in drop spindles for now. Eventually adding quality parts as I go. Thanks for any advice.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
MurderCarlo said:
To start here's what I have: mildly modded 305, 200 trans, peg leg 3.73 rear, 225/60/15 fronts (might change they bulge more than I'd like), 295/50/15 rears. The rears have about 1/4" clearance from the frame & don't stick out but do run under the lip. I'm weighing my options as far as posi but will have it eventually.

I'd like to have a little more aggressive stance and am wondering what is the best way to go. Also how far? Not worried about the front but don't want the rears to rub. I won't be going to the track but I do want it to dig in when I floor it. Budget wise looking in the range of Lakewood for shocks. Probably going to cut the springs and put in drop spindles for now. Eventually adding quality parts as I go. Thanks for any advice.

if you plan on seriously drag racing, dropping the front is probably not the best approach. You look at race cars many have very soft and tall front suspensions so that when you launch the weight transfers to the back. Stiff low front suspensions and stiff rear suspensions will cause the tires to roast more than anything.

With a 305 in your car, you really don't need to worry too much about really setting up the chassis for drag racing... I would leave it stock and just drive it. Put some good shocks in- I like Gabriel Ultra from Auto Zone- but they are stiff. You could run some Monroe Sensatrack, they are more like an oem ride.

If you start planning to put a built 383 or 400 in your car, with close to 400HP or more, then worry about your suspension more. Just my $.02

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
305's are awesome. I'm considering buying one myself if I can't get a good deal on something bigger. But they're not very competitive engines at the track. They will not run under a 13 without a turbo or something like that. Better to purchase new tires all around and maybe front shocks, and save money for a different engine. You will find yourself wanting one after you do some trips to the track. Don't think so? Set 10 times and post them in this thread. I guarantee not a single time will be even in the 12's. Maybe if you buy those tires more suited to drag racing I was talking about they will be though. Your tires are going to be your whole problem right now. Having wider in the front is a bad starting point. It's probably the equivalent of pushing a shopping car with a full case of beer leaning against the front end of the cart. I bet your car swerves everywhere like that... Definitely don't invest in a drop and spend your money on matching your tire sizes and choosing tires more suited to the track. I suspect tires are more expensive than you think. I didn't buy any tires for 2-3 years and when I just went to buy some the pain was excruciating - cant believe how much the prices have gone up lately.

MurderCarlo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2014
Frederick MD
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about doing 2" drop spindles and have no intention of using firmer lowering springs. Been there done that. I may cut a little off the back just to level it out some.
Gt_80 I have a motor similar to yours waiting to drop in. How do you like the afterburners?

Pencero I plan to put smaller tires up front. Just replaced the rear 295's. I'll probably go with drag radials next time but they just closed the local track so it will mainly be a weekend cruiser.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
MurderCarlo said:
Thanks for the replies. I am thinking about doing 2" drop spindles and have no intention of using firmer lowering springs. Been there done that. I may cut a little off the back just to level it out some.
Gt_80 I have a motor similar to yours waiting to drop in. How do you like the afterburners?

Pencero I plan to put smaller tires up front. Just replaced the rear 295's. I'll probably go with drag radials next time but they just closed the local track so it will mainly be a weekend cruiser.

You can't cut the back springs. they have pigtails at both ends. For a cheap and non-permanent trial on lowering I used "Spring Lox"
b9312c449e.jpg

I would not recommend using those long term and especially not for drag racing!

I love the afterburners - they dropped right in and what a difference over the shorty Jegs brand ones I was running! I did a write up on them in the engine swap forum.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor