86 Cutlass w/350 SBC Header recommended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rooster

Apprentice
Jan 3, 2010
Headers will be going on fresh SBC 350 4 bolt main with 462 double hump heads. I plan on running 2 1/2 in. exhaust. Muffler recommendations are welcome also. Emissions specs are no issue where i live. What set-up are you guys using? Thanks in advance. I realize oldsmobile purists see the SBC swap into olds as sacrilige. :? Relax.It's what came with the car, and I'm working with what I have, lol

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Well, since you didn't specify long tube or not, here's what I have experience with.

I loved the Hedman 68600 shorty headers I was using. Excellant plug clearance (changed all 8 in under half hour) and I bolted the headers to the engine and dropped them in altogether. 1 5/8" tubes with a 3" collector. $160 painted from Summit. Reason I had to go to something else: I swapped to a manual transmission and they wouldn't clear the linkage/hydraulics.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I run flowtech headers with flowmaster 40's and love'em. The headers are full length headers btw. I've heard good things about the summit mufflers. They're supposed to be a single chamber design and work just as good as flowmasters but are only 25-30$ a mufflers. Flowtech headers are only about 100$.

Rooster

Apprentice
Jan 3, 2010
I'm really not sure whether i want to go with shorty or long tube.What are the pros and cons of each? From what I understand, the shorty headers are a more universal? fit, and easier to get to your plugs. I don't know, maybe someone can school me on this. :)

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
i have the flowtech afterburner headers on mine with the purple hornies and nothing else, all in all i like it, sounds good and not as loud as you think it would be

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Rooster said:
I'm really not sure whether i want to go with shorty or long tube.What are the pros and cons of each? From what I understand, the shorty headers are a more universal? fit, and easier to get to your plugs. I don't know, maybe someone can school me on this. :)

You can get the shorty headers in very application specific versions. Not universal at all. I've had long tube headers on a past 69 Camaro for years. Some brands are better than others as far as scraping the ground. Also, some brands are a bear to drop the starter and oil filter.

The shorty headers I've used are the Hedmans. I really like these. I first used the 68600 which I'd recommend with an automatic trans. Will not fit with a mechanical linkage manual transmission. They do, though, offer excellant ground clearance and awesome plug clearance. I did plug changes in under 30 minutes for all 8 plugs with these headers. Easy access to oil filter too. I never had to pull the starter with these on but I'd assume thats good too.

Respected_Cutlass

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2009
Those are the shorty headers I got and I put them on first and installed the engine without thinking about them. The starter was no problem at all to take off and put on either.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If given the option, I choose shorties over long tube for a street car. Shorties are much more ground-clearance friendly.

Rooster

Apprentice
Jan 3, 2010
Well, It's been a while, but i went with the hooker shorty headers. The muffler shop dude is recommending 2.25" exhaust. does that sound right? Some quick specs:
86 Cutlass
GMPP 350/290 crate engine
Hooker shorty headers.
Modified/reinforced crossmember to allow for true dual exhaust.
Summit "welded" mufflers

I really dont plan on doing anything through the roof with this engine( will prob. end up w/ 350 HP max.) Life happens, and daycare costs overrides dad's toys :shock: so it's taking a looooooong time to get the ol' girl going.

Anyway, 2.25 or 2.5 in. exhaust? and possibly why. I'll post some pics on my progress when i get a chance, thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor