87 Monte Carlo LS.. running hot all of a sudden..

Status
Not open for further replies.

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
Wondering what can cause the car to all of a sudden running hotter than before.. I've own the car for more than two years. For the most part the temp gauge would stay in the 100-200... even on a long 100+ mile trip it made it just past the 200. Then in the beginning of this summer I got stuck on a bad traffic jam were I was idling around 45 mins. Car moved a few times. Anywho by the time traffic got moving I notice the temp gauge was a pass the 200 mark More than I ever notice it before.. So I did a radiator flush just cause the California summers do get hot and my car is my daily driver.

Now I've checked hoses fan blade and there good. BUT ...The reservoir tank has the treads for the cap stripped so when I tighten the cap I can go to far or else...
So could that be it air in the system... I would wanna think its the reservoir but why after two years does it wanna let air in..
Also I've notice today after I got home and pop the hood the coolant in the tank was ..bubbling. .. head gasket. .. any help ..

Picture is of the temp gauge today ..first time it gets this hot. Also I do all my driving on the freeway. 35mins. And I can notice the gauge go up when am idling on the off ramps. Once driving it will go down a bit...fan clutch???

Attachments

• 20130828_203822.jpg
    20130828_203822.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 477

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
87luxsprt said:
Wondering what can cause the car to all of a sudden running hotter than before.. I've own the car for more than two years. For the most part the temp gauge would stay in the 100-200... even on a long 100+ mile trip it made it just past the 200. Then in the beginning of this summer I got stuck on a bad traffic jam were I was idling around 45 mins. Car moved a few times. Anywho by the time traffic got moving I notice the temp gauge was a pass the 200 mark More than I ever notice it before.. So I did a radiator flush just cause the California summers do get hot and my car is my daily driver.

Now I've checked hoses fan blade and there good. BUT ...The reservoir tank has the treads for the cap stripped so when I tighten the cap I can go to far or else...
So could that be it air in the system... I would wanna think its the reservoir but why after two years does it wanna let air in..
Also I've notice today after I got home and pop the hood the coolant in the tank was ..bubbling. .. head gasket. .. any help ..

Picture is of the temp gauge today ..first time it gets this hot. Also I do all my driving on the freeway. 35mins. And I can notice the gauge go up when am idling on the off ramps. Once driving it will go down a bit...fan clutch???

I looked up the weather for Pamona and It looks like your at a solid 100 degrees everyday. That plus traffic will equal high temp #'s. However if you think they are abnormal I would think fan clutch, seized thermostat or blockage in the radiator. BTW, I think its crazy you have a 4 gauge dash with no tach and no overdrive on that car. Rare *ss combo.

87luxsprt

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2012
POMONA
Gauge combo..rare.. really... ummm. Never thought of that. Its all original am the second owner. I also have bucket seats.. but ...back to the temp.. issue....
Well when the temp gauge is n the middle its at about 220. Which is HOT isn't it...
Also are the bubbles in the reservoir normal....

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
220 is not that hot but the wandering temp is unusual, the fact you have bubbling in the overflow would make me think the radiator cap is bad, or at least weak. A 16# cap should contain 220 degrees without allowing it to boil over into the catch can. If you want to eliminate a possible head gasket get your hands on a coolant system pressure checker, put it on the radiator and start the car you will see immediate pressure, or just start it with the cap off and use the "squeeze the hose" method. I personally would think your radiator cap is bad tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor