About the mexican Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

DI_Knight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
Mexico
JayPeasy said:
are you sure thats not 48000 pesos? LOL I absolutely LOVE those Mexican montes tho, awesome combinations...
thats a ridiculous difference from the 2500$ i paid for my Base 305 Texas model with 77,000 miles...A+ condition.

Some old cars are more expensive than in USA just because people know they are rare and unique. Sometimes is cheaper import a car from the USA than buying a car from here in mint condition.

JayPeasy

Apprentice
May 19, 2012
DI_Knight said:
JayPeasy said:
are you sure thats not 48000 pesos? LOL I absolutely LOVE those Mexican montes tho, awesome combinations...
thats a ridiculous difference from the 2500$ i paid for my Base 305 Texas model with 77,000 miles...A+ condition.

Some old cars are more expensive than in USA just because people know they are rare and unique. Sometimes is cheaper import a car from the USA than buying a car from here in mint condition.

yeah, ur right.. its not worth it to me tho... id jus change out my dash and seats LOL, actually i jhave a local grand prix in my sights just for that reason.. ;)

DI_Knight

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2013
Mexico
Go on! I just see the first American Monte Carlo w/GP dash in one of the cars nominated to GB of month.

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
Hey guys... after reading your posts I feel like I have to hide my Monte jajaja. I have the SS you all are talking about and I am trying to figure out if that 350 was rated at 260 or 200hp without dynoing (car is currently under repair after driving it from Nuevo Laredo Mx to Philadelphia lol). I think that it was the former because it doesn't have cats and a high torque starter (indicating a higher compression motor). I have attached photos and the purchase receipt for reference.

Enjoy.

Attachments

• CAM00080.jpg
    CAM00080.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 590
  • IMG_1555.JPG
    IMG_1555.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 636
  • IMG_1560.JPG
    IMG_1560.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 594

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Cool find, man.
You actually drove it from Mexico to Pa.? How were you able to get it thru customs?
Are you going to tell us more about the car and it's history?

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
Yeah I did drive it from the border to Philadelphia, it was an adventure to say the least! I will tell more as I find it out. All I know is that it has a 350cu engine, 4 speed saginaw trans, Dana 44 rear, pontiac gp dash, and came stock with checkerboard rims (I have one in the trunk as a spare, the others are in Mx). The car is believed to be a Nascar qualifier, one of 200 produced so that Chevrolet could enter the Monte Carlo into Nascar. Other than that, I don't know much but want to learn more!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm sure you have stories to tell about your adventure. How did you actually find the car in Mexico? Were you down there on a visit and found it accidentally? Sorry for all the questions, but I find the story intriguing.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
LOL i wish u sent a scantron with ur post...jkjk. I was working in the oil industry there and ran across this vehicle. I wanted a car to get around and to participate in the local
(and very active) car scene in Tabasco, Mx. When moving bck to the states I couldnt bring myself to sell it so I put it on a truck and rode with it to the Mexico/texas border. Passed it through customs after 3 hrs of talking with customs and finally determining that the car is american made and can be imported w/o taxes and then I drove it from there to Houston (ran out of gas). From there to atlanta. To North carolina (busted radiator). Then to DC (GF) then finally to Philly, The trip took about 5 days but it was hands down one of the coolest things I have done in my life.

KHW

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
What a cool story and adventure. I'm sure you'll have long lasting memories of this trip. I'm happy for you, man.
As I said before, cool car and unique find. Keep us updated on your progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor