Absorbers or frame

RescuedElk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2022
I recently purchase an 86 Buick regal for $800. It came with a ton of extra parts so I didn’t mind picking it up.
There was some damage on the passenger side. The front bumper was bent in and appeared to have been crashed. There was no damage to the fender, only a broken light bezel, but the header and everything else seemed fine. I removed the bumper and noticed the absorber was weak. I pulled it out and applied the new bumper but the bumper was not center. It sticks out on the left side.

Could this be a frame issue or can it be the bumper absorbers ?

Thanks for any and all help

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If there is no obvious damage to the frame horns then it is most likely the absorbers, did you measure the stick out past the frame for both absorbers and compare?

Reactions: 1 users

RescuedElk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2022
If there is no obvious damage to the frame horns then it is most likely the absorbers, did you measure the stick out past the frame for both absorbers and compare?
No, not yet. I got the car two days ago.

I’ll try doing that when the sun comes out.

I’ll also post some pictures

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Should you be referring to a compacted shock ? Occasionally I have guesstimate the lenth by measurement and regained certain said lengths buy fabbing spacers out of some steel or cast pipes (extensions) untill I got the replacement part in hand .If the shock/s are very shorter',you proubly need to use longer bolts /nuts ?..hint the make shift extension pipe can be around 3/4"to 1" diameter,so as to be somewhat stabilizing with final adjustment with large flatwashers distance's differences of say around 1/2" could be temporarily adjusted with incerting a nut of the next size up from the. Attachment bolt between the bumper and its mount...of course I'm addressing an impacted bumper shock here

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
It would be best to take the car to a frame shop to have the frame measured for distortation and pulled if required. Don't take shortcuts with a bent frame.

Reactions: 1 user

RescuedElk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2022
Images added

Thank you q
No, not yet. I got the car two days ago.

I’ll try doing that when the sun comes out.

I’ll also post some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0863.jpeg
    IMG_0863.jpeg
    887.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0865.jpeg
    IMG_0865.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0867.jpeg
    IMG_0867.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0883.jpeg
    IMG_0883.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
does the hood line up ? if so good . in your pics with the absorber un bolted looks like where the bolts are in the frame that flange is bent a little 'straighten that flange out no big deal if that is bent the flange on the absorber is also bent measure the length of the absorber it needs to be the same length as the other side .there are adjustments in the bumper from side to side they may be rusty so you might have to work them free also you can use a big hammer and bang the absorber over more

RescuedElk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2022
Hood aligns

Thank you everyone

I ordered some aluminum absorbers

I have my hammer ready, but it’s raining out in SoCal 😢

RescuedElk

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 9, 2022
Hood aligns

Thank you everyone

I ordered some aluminum absorbers

I have my hammer ready, but it’s raining out in SoCal 😢

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On my Regal the bumper stuck out too far because of the absorbers and when I went to install my one piece front spoiler it didn't line up with any holes. So I removed both absorbers and drilled and tapped the front piece and then just drilled a larger hole on the back part that lined up and I used a piece of threaded rod and used threadlocker where it screwed in the front and put a nut and washer on the back side this allowed me to pull the shocks in enough for the spoiler to align but still keep the function of an absorber in case of an accident.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor