alternator or electrical problem????

Status
Not open for further replies.

prico1976

Greasemonkey
Aug 15, 2010
the alternator light came on just put a new alternator the light still on and when i disconnect the positive from the battery it shut off. what could the problem be? thank you for any feed back

warmonga

Greasemonkey
Apr 9, 2006
dude most likely your alternator needs to be replaced.. take the car to autozone they will let you know if the alternator is shot..

prico1976

Greasemonkey
Aug 15, 2010
is not the alternator i also replace the fusible link by the starter and no luck

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd be looking at this connector on the regulator

GM_Internally_Regulated_Alternator_Plug.jpg

prico1976

Greasemonkey
Aug 15, 2010
how do i test it and what should i be lookin for? i know when i disconected it the idiot light for charge goes off

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the smaller of the two wires has to excite the alternator or it won't charge. The heavier wire should have 12 v to it when the car is running.

ChargeCircuit.jpg

wrenchbend1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2013
Start the engine and put a test light to all three terminals on the alternator ALL three should light up that is the main fat battery red lead and the two terminals in the plug. let us know your findings !
prico1976 said:
the alternator light came on just put a new alternator the light still on and when i disconnect the positive from the battery it shut off. what could the problem be? thank you for any feed back

prico1976

Greasemonkey
Aug 15, 2010
thank you for all your help guys. i know for sure is not the alternator. i pulled out the alternator and put it in my other cutlass to test it and is charging fine. i must have a wiring problem. with the engine running from the two wire connectors i get 12v on the red wire and on the brown wire i get 2.7 volts. when i do the same test on my other car with the engine running i get 12v on both wires. so what can be my problem this is so frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor