American and British TV car shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Seems a lot of you are fans of BBCs Top Gear programme.
I haven't come across anything else like it from anywhere else, of course it's not so much a car programme as entertainment with a car theme.
American Chopper and similar shows seem to be dramas built around the characters rather than the vehicles, the recurring theme appears to be "will the job be finished on time?" and it all magically comes together after the final ad break.
Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of American TV, I'll come out now as a "Desperate Housewives" fan and my gf and I are "Dog whisperer" fans - better IMO than our own "Its me or the dog".
It's fair to say we produce plenty of mindless junk masquerading as entertainment too, any "Eastenders" fans out there?.
Any good gearhead shows you might recommend for me?.

Roger.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Absolutely cannot stand Top Gear. They have nothing nice to say about American cars, even when they blow the *ss of a European car and cost half the price. The only automotive shows I could recommend would be the Power Block on Spike but being your overseas, I dunno if you can get that.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I'm a big fan of the British top gear, not so much the american top gear... Chris is right though, they do tend to rant about american cars a little on the show. They tested a new cadillac cts v8 and they said it was too big and had cheap leather interior... There's no way a new Cadillac is cheap

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
Got to agree with Chris about their blind prejudice about American cars.
Clarkson would hate me, not only do I drive an American car but I tow a caravan with it!.

I enjoy watching them regularly making complete fools of themselves though. Thats what the show is really about, James May and the Hamster present some other shows that are both intelligent and informative.

I can't get Spike over here, I have watched it when I visited the USA and liked it.

Roger.

Possumz

Greasemonkey
Jul 8, 2010
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Speed Channel has a few good shows like Gearz, 2 Guys Garage, Truck U, Hot Rod TV and more. I record them every weekend on my DVR as well as the ones on Spike TV. :itchy:

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
You like that two guys garage show? It's basically just an infomercial for whatever company payed for the advertising space that week... With a 5 minute segment where they stop by a drag strip or a monster truck show or something like that. :lol:

It was a lot better when they had the two old guys, not the dorks they have now. :lol:

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Are there any good car shows left? I quit watching them about 4 years ago. To much advertising. And watching a couple of guys that look like runway models and only have bolt-on skills putting on their mechanic gloves to check tire pressure isn't my idea of a good car show.

That Stacey David had a pretty good show when he was on Spike. But when he left, he went to a channel I couldn't get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor