Another Prototype Gasket in the Coming Soon Edition- Can't Believe They Haven't Repro'd This One

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
At least I can't find any evidence of them repro-ing it. It's a little different than the earlier A-body versions. The slice is in a different spot, as well as the size. Seen them on ebay for almost 20 bucks plus tax...EACH! No friggin' way. I think I can make a repro that works.

Trunk lock retainer gasket GM p/n 1718294. Fits various A-bodies, G-bodies, B-bodies, C-bodies, E-bodies, etc. 78-88. Yeah, probably some of you didn't even realize there was a gasket back there. :)

The GM gasket is actually made of a dense, closed-cell, neoprene foam. My prototypes are made from what I had on hand, which is some EDPM sheet rubber. My point was seeing if it could be cut and work. And yes, it can and does. I have the correct material on order now so we'll see how this goes in about a week when I get it. Design and cut plots are finalized and ready. Now I just need the right material. Plotter is set up for 65 gaskets to cut in one shot. All ready to go.

Need to find out, too, if the brake booster gasket is the same foam rubber stuff (GM p/n 9791640)...there are repros out there, but the shipping on them KILLS the deal. Try and get a $5 booster gasket and not pay 10-15 in shipping from these places selling them. Yikes. I know I can do it cheaper. May not make a slew of them, but just being able to make a cut program for it and do it when I need to is worth it. I only have 3 NOS ones of those on hand, so I may not ever really need them, but y'all redoing your G-bodies might like to have one or two. Why pay $20?

The trunk lock retainer I'm using and showing here is GM p/n 20223910. It's for a G47 Olds, 81-88, but the point is, the retainer mounts to the trunklid with a single rivet. (retainer is p/n 20014418 for 78-80 A47 but uses the same gasket)

NOS 1718294 trunk lock retainer gasket.jpg

Repro prototype made of EPDM rubber sheet. Original GM is made of thin, neoprene closed-cell foam.
NOS 1718294 trunk lock retainer gasket comparison.jpg

Repro-
Repro Prototype 1718294 trunk lock retainer gasket.jpg

How it mounts-
Prototype Trunk Lock Retainer gasket in place.jpg

Prototype Trunk Lock Retainer gasket in place 2.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I recently took all my locks out. My trunk lock retainer had no gasket at all. I wonder if it was a "who cares" on the assembly line.

Hutch
Never... Are you saying they didn't have 100% success rate on QC checks? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've pulled a ton of those retainers from trunk lids and not one had that gasket lol
See what I mean? A lot of people don't even know it's supposed to be there. I'll go check the 85 and 87, maybe tomorrow. They should have one if it's not disintegrated away already. They've never been removed.

1711484834352.png

Reactions: 1 user

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Just for curiosity I went to check to see if that gasket was there on the Hurst. Yup it was there

20240326_165809.jpg

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
See what I mean? A lot of people don't even know it's supposed to be there. I'll go check the 85 and 87, maybe tomorrow. They should have one if it's not disintegrated away already. They've never been removed.

View attachment 237036
This seems like the same scenario with the air cleaner wingnut grommets...

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Finally got 'round to checking the 85 and 87. Yup. I know the 84 has one because I distinctly remember putting it in there. Thought it was stupid, but whatever.
IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Lord how dirty it is up in there. Gak. But they're both there. They're both a bit crispy, but still hangin' in there. Obviously they'll get replaced one of these days.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor