HELP Any good? Harbor Freight HVLP Air guns.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Has anyone ever looked into any of Astro Pneumatic guns? I used to sell a lot to the body shop guys back in the early 2000's. Not cheap & not expensive.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I own the H.F. purple, detail/ touch-up, and both Black Widows but haven't used them yet. I can say this though: The $20 purple H.F. HVLP paint gun is an exact copy of a Devilbiss, just not executed perfectly. The Black Widow is mostly a Sata 5000 series, and accepts their parts. Whatever you go with, get the adapter so you can run PPS or Spectrum paint cups with liners and be able to paint at odd angles.
The disposable cups are fantastic, makes cleanup a bit of a joke with how easy it becomes.
Just don’t trust the mixing ratios on the main cup, they’re way off.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Im not sure if HF has changed the design of the purple gun but it really doesnt look like a Starting Line gun a all. I mean theyre all similar I guess but theyre quite different at the same time.

_p_1_p15572.jpg
62300_W3.jpg
It's been 15+ years, but a boss of mine had them side by side and I'm 97% certain it was a Devilbiss. I could be remembering it wrong though, my brain ain't what it used to be.

The Sata parts I mentioned earlier that fit B.W. are in kit # 15438.
Screenshot_20240323-203316~2.png Screenshot_20240323-203232~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
I appreciate all the great feedback and comments on the post and it's pretty cool to see some of you guys talk about general painting things. 🙃 I am undecided at the current moment I'm going to go over all the suggestions pick something out within the coming week

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I appreciate all the great feedback and comments on the post and it's pretty cool to see some of you guys talk about general painting things. 🙃 I am undecided at the current moment I'm going to go over all the suggestions pick something out within the coming week
Theres always a few factors to consider before buying anything but one thing I'll add. The kit I have was a gift from my wife. She heard me talking about HVPL guns on the phone with a friend of mine. She saw me looking at the sets on the Eastwood website. Next thing I know theres the 2 gun set in my living room. I was on the fence about using HVLP since I was used to the regular old school Binks #7 and Astro detail gun that Ive owned for decades. Once I tried it I never went back.
Five or six years later I had an issue with the detail gun. It was sputtering when I used it. Coudnt figure out the problem so I called Devilbiss. Figured they had some sort of tech support that would give me some info. Instead they offered to send me a replacement gun. I was shocked at the offer. Long story short, the box arrives at my house in less than a week and it wasnt a detail gun. It was a new two gun set. Both spray guns in a new case.
I put the old detail gun back in the original case and months later I took it out to mess with it. Swapped the internals with the newer gun. After looking at them I couldnt see any differences. Tried them both and they both sprayed with no issues. Now I use one large gun for primer, one for paint. The two detail guns come in real handy when spraying SEM. I use one for adhesion promoter, the other for color. Much easier than cleaning them between coats.
Long story short, I'd buy Devilbiss again just because of their customer service.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor